You are here

any budget PCI audio interfaces released in the past 2 years?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

any budget PCI audio interfaces released in the past 2 years?

Postby DigDug » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:32 am

I'm eyeing the RME Hammerfall HDSP 9632.
It sells for 529$
From the looks of it though, I'm pretty sure it was released sometime in 2011?

Are companies basically phasing out PCI cards because I can't seem to find anything else within the same price bracket on Sweetwater?
DigDug
Poster

Re: any budget PCI audio interfaces released in the past 2 years?

Postby resistorman » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:08 am

Sure looks that way. USB has beaten out pci and FireWire, thunderbolt seems to be leveled off and the next thing would seem to be audio over Ethernet (AoE)
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:53 am

DigDug wrote:I'm eyeing the RME Hammerfall HDSP 9632.
It sells for 529$
From the looks of it though, I'm pretty sure it was released sometime in 2011?

Are companies basically phasing out PCI cards because I can't seem to find anything else within the same price bracket on Sweetwater?

Yeah not many PCI offerings. The Hammerfall is still a great interface however, and it's gonna be for the foreseeable future.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby ef37a » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:36 am

Where you bin DigDug? !!

YEARS ago I emailed M-Audio to ask them when they were going to bring out a PCIe version of their PCI Delta cards such as the 2496 and 192. "Never" was the reply, they had seen long ago that the computer recording world was moving to laptops and Fire Wire (then) and USB.

One of the problems that I had with external USB interfaces was that I could not record sound going through the computer such as YT or radio, easy with the 2496. The latest generation of USB interfaces have fixed that, certainly the MOTU M2/4 and maybe others?

If latency is the reason for your interest, worry not. My NI KA6 works down to 32 samples on a not very special desktop, beating the 64 samples of the 2496. Later interfaces are even better.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Trevor Johnson » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:32 am

Lynx still produce PCIe cards, the E22, E44 and AES16e.

They are quite expensive, but as a Lynx audio user for some years, (although not a PCIe card), I am very impressed by the quality and reliability of their equipment plus the regular driver and firmware updates.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:27 pm

The PCI HDSP Hammerfall has been around since something like 2003 and is still available new today. I'm not sure that there are many other computer products with that kind of longevity. If you are talking PCIe then I guess you are talking about the Raydat card.

Nowadays there is very little interest in internal cards. One reason could be that audio interfaces need quite a few connections and you can't fit many connectors on the back panel of a PCI card so most cards use one or more breakout cables. People are also wary about putting high quality a/d convertors in an electrically noisy environment like the inside of a computer (although some manufacturers achieve very good performance with their internal cards).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby merlyn » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:17 pm

DigDug wrote:I'm eyeing the RME Hammerfall HDSP 9632.
It sells for 529$

That seems like a bargain, however it is not as future proof as a PCIe card.

DigDug wrote:Are companies basically phasing out PCI cards because I can't seem to find anything else within the same price bracket on Sweetwater?

PCI slots on motherboards are becoming less and less common. New motherboards that have PCI slots use a PCI to PCIe bridge. From what I've seen on forums this mostly works with soundcards, but there is the potential for issues with chipsets and the bridge chip.

If you wanted to upgrade your computer hardware in the future having a PCI card would limit your options. All new motherboards have PCIe slots, so a PCIe soundcard could be transferred into an upgraded system.
merlyn
Regular

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:59 pm

I still run a Delta 2496 in one of my machines. Works great! We mix with ProTools on it.

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 8&p=550265
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster