You are here

Help required - ipad pro USB C - connecting Scarlett box & keyboard

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Help required - ipad pro USB C - connecting Scarlett box & keyboard

Postby chrissieboy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:09 am

Hi all,

I have a current gen ipad pro and have been using a Focusrite Scarlett box, electric/ acoustic guitars and a condenser mic to record some cover versions in Garage band.

All has gone well and worked flawlessly but I am now wanting to add a keyboard (full size keys, 3 or 4 octave) to play garageband's synths (rather than use the on screen keyboard).

I can't seem to work out a way to add a keyboard whilst the scarlett is plugged into the only USB C port. If it exists, I suppose a USB C hub with (say) 3 or 4 additonal USB C ports would suffice?

In fact, are there any USB C keyboards available or will any keyboard like the Alesis V49 with old square USB socket with a cable to USB C suffice?

I am all very confused about what the best solution might be and one that works. I can't be the only one who wants a keyboard and audio interface connected to an ipad pro! :)

Help much appreciated!!
chrissieboy

Re: Help required - ipad pro USB C - connecting Scarlett box & keyboard

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:52 pm

I've been messing about with my own iPad setup and found that a powered USB3 hub which can run off a reasonably sized power bank can handle keys, drum pad and SSL2+ happy enough without falling over.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.