You are here

Need help with Microphone purchase

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Need help with Microphone purchase

Postby SRoyC » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:45 am

Hello friends and fellow members

This is my first post here, so I hope it is not the wrong section to post.

I am planning to buy a microphone for home use, mainly to record songs, to connect with my desktop (sometimes with a smartphone). The main use of the microphone would be record songs. My computer has Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K3, AMD Ryzen 5 2600x, 16GB DDD4 memory and Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Graphics card.

My budget is limited and for example, one I found on Amazon India is this
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B082STZFWD/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A373ZTMQV06P91&psc=1

Could members here please guide me on this?

Do I need to buy a separate sound card to use this microphone properly?

Thank you.
SRoyC
Poster

Re: Need help with Microphone purchase

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:52 am

For the benefit of UK readers, the linked microphone on Amazon is £23.15 at today's exchange rates.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:01 am

Welcome to the Forum! :thumbup:

What is the maximum price you could go to for a microphone?

The microphone you've highlighted is widely available, but it's sound quality is really not very good. Lots of people have reported reliability problems too.

Have you considered a USB-microphone? Some of them are very good and you avoid having to buy an audio interface (we don't really use the term 'sound card' these days.) And yes, to maximise quality you do need an audio interface - either separate or, in the case of a USB mic, built into the mic body.

Whatever you decide, the microphone is a critical component in recording voice and you need to spend wisely and not cheaply to get one that will be anything more than a 5-minute wonder.

So... maximum budget? :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby SRoyC » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:19 am

Thank you so much Mike for your warm welcome and guidance.

My budget is around Rs 2000~2500 and I intend to use it mainly to record songs at home.

I am rather starting at zero in terms of knowledge or information regarding microphones. I have Boya lapel microphones but I have found those really awful when it comes to recording songs. The lower notes go completely missing, the loudness is suppressed and the pitch changes. I also have an old passive Philips microphone, but I have seen that my computer mostly fails to recognise the microphone when connected using XLR cable and an adapter to the mic port of the motherboard of my computer.

So it would be immensely helpful for me if you could guide me through this.

If you need any more information or clarification, please feel free to ask.

Thanks again.

EDIT:

After reading your reply, I have been browsing through Amazon India, and found this as an example of USB microphone with good reviews. I understand that I need o stretch my budget considerably, but I am ready to do that if it's worth.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07WTGBYMB/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza#customerReviews
SRoyC
Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:47 am

2000 rupees is apparently a little over 20 pounds, according to this currency converter I've just used. Sorry about that, but most Brits like me don't know the value of a rupee, I'm afraid.

I agree with Mike that the best bang for your buck when you're on a very limited budget would be a USB mic. However I also have to agree that you will do better if you can push your budget a little further. Microphones are precision instruments and the very cheapest end of the market can look like astonishingly good value until you actually come to use them, when they can hugely disappoint.

I'm not really familiar with this end of the market, hopefully others will be along soon with more knowledge, but best of luck with it. One thing that will help you is that there is some very good recording software out there that is absolutely free. Cakewalk by Bandlab if you're on Windows, for instance.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Postby SRoyC » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:57 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:2000 rupees is apparently a little over 20 pounds, according to this currency converter I've just used. Sorry about that, but most Brits like me don't know the value of a rupee, I'm afraid.

I agree with Mike that the best bang for your buck when you're on a very limited budget would be a USB mic. However I also have to agree that you will do better if you can push your budget a little further. Microphones are precision instruments and the very cheapest end of the market can look like astonishingly good value until you actually come to use them, when they can hugely disappoint.

I'm not really familiar with this end of the market, hopefully others will be along soon with more knowledge, but best of luck with it. One thing that will help you is that there is some very good recording software out there that is absolutely free. Cakewalk by Bandlab if you're on Windows, for instance.

CC

Thank you so much for your reply and pointing me to the software which I had no idea about. I have been using audacity for general audio related solutions.

I understand your point regarding the budget, but sadly, I can not extend it as much as I would love too.

I hope other members here would be kind enough to help me with the one I posted, or the likes of that
SRoyC
Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:59 am

I'm going to suggest a few mics at the budget end of the USB market. I can't speak as to their quality, but at least they're from known makers. All references will be to a European site, but you should be able to get some/all of these in India.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_c1u.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/cad_audio_u29.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_e205u.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/cad_audio_u49.htm

Of these I'd suggest the Superlux. They generally produce good-quality/good value items.

The mic is only the start of your journey. You also need to make sure that you have a good recording environment. Draped duvets and quilts are a good way of deadening the acoustics to avoid echo and reverberation.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: Need help with Microphone purchase for home use (song recording)

Postby SRoyC » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:32 am

Mike Stranks wrote:I'm going to suggest a few mics at the budget end of the USB market. I can't speak as to their quality, but at least they're from known makers. All references will be to a European site, but you should be able to get some/all of these in India.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_c1u.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/cad_audio_u29.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_e205u.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/cad_audio_u49.htm

Of these I'd suggest the Superlux. They generally produce good-quality/good value items.

The mic is only the start of your journey. You also need to make sure that you have a good recording environment. Draped duvets and quilts are a good way of deadening the acoustics to avoid echo and reverberation.

Thank you so much for your reply Mike.

Out of all the four, you have kindly suggested, only the Superlux is available and the price is almost 55 Pound sterling which is pretty high considering the original price displayed on Thomann.

Could you please check the brand Maono that I have shared and give me your feedback please as Superlux will require me to stetch my budget quite a lot? Here is another one I found: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07Y1C6GDS/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVDlON1gyUjQ0MzNOJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTQ2MTA2MjI0QUsyWkdNSDVESSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODc0MzMyMUsyV01RMlFCOTJXRiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbDImYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

One more question, will there be any kind of delay if I want to record using a karaoke track?

Thanks again.
SRoyC
Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:26 pm

These cheap mics are produced in their hundreds of thousands in Chinese factories and then given a paint-job for the different brands.

I have looked at the Amazon post you linked to. There is nothing there about the technical characteristics of the microphone. I note that that price includes and anglepoise stand and pop-screen too.

I really would not recommend that you purchase a mic like this; I think you'll very quickly become disappointed.

I've just searched Amazon India for mics at somewhere near your budget. It's clearly a very different market-place to the one in Europe. I have no experience of - or have even heard of - the brands advertised there so am unable to give any practical advice at all. Sorry
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby SRoyC » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:21 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:These cheap mics are produced in their hundreds of thousands in Chinese factories and then given a paint-job for the different brands.

I have looked at the Amazon post you linked to. There is nothing there about the technical characteristics of the microphone. I note that that price includes and anglepoise stand and pop-screen too.

I really would not recommend that you purchase a mic like this; I think you'll very quickly become disappointed.

I've just searched Amazon India for mics at somewhere near your budget. It's clearly a very different market-place to the one in Europe. I have no experience of - or have even heard of - the brands advertised there so am unable to give any practical advice at all. Sorry

I understand your point and I thank you for your effort and time. I really appreciate it.

I have searched and viewed some reviews of fifine T-669 microphone and generally those are pretty positive. Though I have no idea whether the reviews on the YouTube are paid or not.

Thanks again.
SRoyC
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:33 pm

Both the mics you've linked to appear to be the same mic under different brand names.

Dave (ef37a on here) has mentioned some mics that he's used in your price range on previous threads so it may be worth a search. He mentioned this one a few weeks ago

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Citronic-Ccu3- ... B01N2Z959Q

although it looks like a rebranded generic Chinese mic so you may be able to find the same thing under a different brand cheaper.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby CS70 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:22 pm

SRoyC wrote:

The main use of the microphone would be record songs.

Do I need to buy a separate sound card to use this microphone properly?

A difficult call with such a small budget. You mention a phone - which type is it? With that budget, you cannot probably get anything much better than what you have there, especially since you will need an audio interface as well, unless you go for a USB mic.

A phone will work just as well for both guitars and vocals: the sound of the room and the performance is more important than the microphone. Granted, you will not get U47 results and will have much more work in post, but a good room and a great performance go a long way,
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby SRoyC » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:40 pm

Thank you all for your reply.

I shall visit the link that you have kindly posted, and I would update here abut my final call.

In the meantime, could you please help me with the following two issues:

1. If I use a USB condenser microphone to sing with a karaoke track will there be any lag while recording, between the voice and the instrumental?

2. Till now I hae used Audacity only, but I would like to capture the sound better. So is there any resource whicj you may point me to, so that I can learn how to use a microphone more effectively while recording vocal music?

Thanks again.
SRoyC
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:44 pm

SRoyC wrote:1. If I use a USB condenser microphone to sing with a karaoke track will there be any lag while recording, between the voice and the instrumental?

If the microphone reports its latency properly to the software and the software knows what to do with the information then all will be fine. Unfortunately I don't know what sort of drivers come with the budget USB mics so I've no idea how well they work.

SRoyC wrote:2. Till now I hae used Audacity only, but I would like to capture the sound better. So is there any resource whicj you may point me to, so that I can learn how to use a microphone more effectively while recording vocal music?

As I understand it, Audacity is an audio editor (I don't use it but I tried it many years ago and had a quick look recently when my son installed it on his Raspberry Pi). What you really need is some multitrack recording software. Cakewalk by Bandlab is a free, fully featured digital audio workstation which would probably be better than Audacity. Reaper is also free to try - it has a demo period but you don't seem to lose any functions after the demo period and the price is so reasonable that most people pay for it.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:02 pm

James Perrett wrote:
As I understand it, Audacity is an audio editor (I don't use it but I tried it many years ago and had a quick look recently when my son installed it on his Raspberry Pi). What you really need is some multitrack recording software. Cakewalk by Bandlab is a free, fully featured digital audio workstation which would probably be better than Audacity. Reaper is also free to try - it has a demo period but you don't seem to lose any functions after the demo period and the price is so reasonable that most people pay for it.

Not quite as clear-cut as that... you can multitrack record with Audacity, but playback options are limited. But I agree that if someone is wanting to get into full-blown multitrack recording then there are probably better free options.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Next