You are here

Which Drum Machine

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Which Drum Machine

Postby Scouser » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:31 pm

Just wondered if anyone can suggest some drum machines or apps that are very quick to find your way around for a non programmer.

Only interested in drum sounds, in particular brushes, rods and all the soft type of sounds. I did find an app, which in some ways is very good ( Soft Drummer ) but no manual, instructions, makes it very difficult to program a whole song with fills etc.

So essentially looking for something very intuitive and easy to program with good quality samples, also something that has natural feel with usable library and articulations slurs, flams, fills etc
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Re: Which Drum Machine

Postby Dynamic Mike » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:28 pm

EZ drummer is basically drag and drop
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Is it too late to cancel cancel culture?

Postby The Elf » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:14 pm

As soon as you program drum patterns you're a programmer - like it or not!

So are you wanting ready-programmed rhythms, or a machine that will let you program rhythms more easily?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby CS70 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:38 pm

Scouser wrote:Just wondered if anyone can suggest some drum machines or apps that are very quick to find your way around for a non programmer.

Only interested in drum sounds, in particular brushes, rods and all the soft type of sounds. I did find an app, which in some ways is very good ( Soft Drummer ) but no manual, instructions, makes it very difficult to program a whole song with fills etc.

So essentially looking for something very intuitive and easy to program with good quality samples, also something that has natural feel with usable library and articulations slurs, flams, fills etc

I too use EZDrummer, as occasionally program drums to make demos or short videos, when want to get something quick without rigging for recording with my drummer. I got it last year and with practice I found that I seldom use the drum "program" at such.. the drum synth interface gets used only for selecting the drum kit and for browsing loops.

What I do is that either I choose a suitable pre-made loop or, as it often happens, I dont find one quickly, I simply create a pattern in the DAW sequencer (I use Cakewalk) and once I've locked it, I copy it for the duration of the song..

Then I bounce to midi and start "humanizing" it by moving things around. It is tedious, but the result you can get that way are pretty cool.. the point being is that if you know your DAW sequencing/midi editing, you really just need the samples, not so much the drum synth interface.

To make anything believable, you need to do all that anyways..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page