You are here

Driving the pre-amp to hit the sweet spot without an output trim

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Driving the pre-amp to hit the sweet spot without an output trim

Postby Sam the Scholar » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:34 pm

Hi,

Just watched Sam Inglis' video on Mic Pre amps - very interesting and helpful.

Due to this video I want to further understand how to use my old SPL Gold Mike to try and find the sweet spot by driving the thing - problem is it doesn't have an output trim or similar to keep output level in check - it gets loud quickly even with the level on the audio interface at very low levels.

Any thoughts on how to test this?

Audio interface is focusrite liquid saffire 56 - due to the pre-amps on this haven't used the Gold Mike for years but this video has got me thinking that it might add something nice if I can find the right spot !

Thanks,

Sam
Sam the Scholar
Poster

Re: Driving the pre-amp to hit the sweet spot without an output trim

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:08 pm

If you can't turn down the line inputs of the interface enough, then you'll need to introduce a pad between the preamp and interface. You can buy inline XLR pads for 10-40dB attenuation easily enough. Alternatively, you can use a passive monitor controller to serve as a variable pad. I have often used the (JBL) Nanopatch for the role, for example, and it works very well!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam the Scholar » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:57 am

Brilliant, thanks Hugh
Sam the Scholar
Poster

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:08 am

That should be easy if you can replace the 12ax7 with a 12au tube to reduce the amount of gain the tubes produce.