You are here

How to connect soundcraft efx12 to steinberg ur44 for mixing?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

How to connect soundcraft efx12 to steinberg ur44 for mixing?

Postby dennisgamalej » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:27 pm

Hello guys,
I know im a noob in the studio world but i rlly like it.
I have a question. How to connect my soundcraft efx12 to my steinberg ur44 so that i can mix on my soundcraft so i send in my daw (reaper) for example lead vocal to channel 1 on my mixer, guitar on channel 2 on my mixer so i can mix them seperatly add eq....? And do i have to plugin my headphones and monitors on my mixer or steinberg interface for recording and mixing/mastering? Thank you so much!
dennisgamalej
Regular

Re: How to connect soundcraft efx12 to steinberg ur44 for mixing?

Postby bruza83 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:26 pm

dennisgamalej wrote:Hello guys,
I have a question. How to connect my soundcraft efx12 to my steinberg ur44 so that i can mix on my soundcraft so i send in my daw (reaper) for example lead vocal to channel 1 on my mixer, guitar on channel 2 on my mixer so i can mix them seperatly add eq....? And do i have to plugin my headphones and monitors on my mixer or steinberg interface for recording and mixing/mastering? Thank you so much!
if im correct you want to mix say vocals and guitar add effects on the mixer (onboard effects before routing it in to the (DAW). if that's way you want to do it it would be probabaly be set up like this take a cable out of the AUX send sent to the audio input on the interface if im correct it won't be stereo though then send which ever channels you use to the AUX send then set up in reaper your interface settings alternatively if your mixer isn't going put to a PA you can use the main outs to the interface and use your monitors or headphones to listen make sure all gains are good hope this may help a little.
bruza83
Poster

Postby dennisgamalej » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:32 pm

bruza83 wrote:
dennisgamalej wrote:Hello guys,
if im correct you want to mix say vocals and guitar add effects on the mixer (onboard effects before routing it in to the (DAW). if that's way you want to do it it would be probabaly be set up like this take a cable out of the AUX send sent to the audio input on the interface if im correct it won't be stereo though then send which ever channels you use to the AUX send then set up in reaper your interface settings alternatively if your mixer isn't going put to a PA you can use the main outs to the interface and use your monitors or headphones to listen make sure all gains are good hope this may help a little.
Hey thnx for reply! No i want everything what i have in my daw to rout with my mixer so i can use the faders on my mixer for mixing. So vocal is going to one fader on my mixer, guitar to another... I still will use vsts but havibg hands on faders are better

Verstuurd vanaf mijn JSN-L21 met Tapatalk
dennisgamalej
Regular

Postby bruza83 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:46 pm

Oh sorry I misunderstood I'm assuming your mixer is an analogue job so you could run from the interface outputs to the mixers channel inputs. Configure in reaper where the signal goes ie out of channel 1 to interface unfortunatly im not familiar with that DAW so setting wise I couldn't tell you im afraid you can still monitor what ever goes in to the mixer with your headphones
bruza83
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:59 pm

The UR44 has 6 outputs so that would be the maximum number of separate tracks/stems you could mix through the mixer. That's just about enough for a simple trio, guitar, bass drums and vocals allowing for three mics on the drums but that's all. If that's sufficient connect the UR44 outputs to the first six inputs on the desk and the outputs from the desk to either an external recorder or a pair of UR44 inputs routed to a spare stereo DAW channel. Then you can play the project while mixing the six tracks down onto the external recorder or spare stereo DAW channel.

Plug the headphones into the mixer to monitor while mixing.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby dennisgamalej » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:26 am

Thnx for response,
now i know how to get audio from daw into the mixer. Output of interface into mic inputs on mixer but what about recording each channel on the mixer individually if i do main out of the mixer into mic in of interface I will record all channels at once and I can't record them in daw individually.
dennisgamalej
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:00 am

I think you're trying to use your mixer as a control surface and it's not designed for that.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:06 am

Just a quick note on what you said above...

You take the outputs of your interface into LINE inputs on the mixer not MIC inputs.

You now ask about using the mixer as a multitrack INPUT to the interface. Simply answer: it's not designed for that; it's designed to mix all it's inputs to two tracks/channels.

Complicated answer: You can feed individual channels from the mixer into the interface using the INSERT sockets. Thomann have a lead designed for this purpose, but I can't track it down at the moment. [You want a TRS jack plug connected to TS jack plug. T and R of the TRS are joined together and are both connected to T of the TS plug. The two S's are connnected.]

Note that doing this bypasses everything on the mixer channel strip except the gain - no EQ, no panning, no FX, no fader. You're simply taking the signal from one mixer channel before all of these controls and sending it to the interface. To be honest, you might as well just connect direct to the interface and not use the mixer at all for DAW INPUT duties.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:18 am

The ur 44 has 6 line inputs so you could record up to 6 discrete channels (source?)

The mixer can only deliver discrete channels via its inserts but that would involve you in making up special jack to jack cables because plugging into an insert breaks the thru' signal in the mixer and you would not be able to monitor it (where do your monitors take their feed from? )

So, if you used chns 1-6 that way you could bring the 6 AI outs back to chns 7-12 for mixdown (a monitor controller/source switch is indicated to avoid a lot of cable swapping!)

You are now up to a dozen extra cables, six of them specials . It can all be done but you would do well to study the signal block diagram of the efx12 in the user manual and draw things out.
Why do you want to record through the mixer when it can be done with the Steinberg?

You just beat me to it Mike!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby dennisgamalej » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:37 am

thnx guys for reply!
so i record and monitor on my steinberg and than i go out from my steinberg and insert each channel into my mixer? right?
dennisgamalej
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:01 am

You record through your interface and DAW and ignore the mixer.

Once recorded, you can mix down the individual tracks in the DAW (maximum of 6) to a stereo mix by using the outputs on the interface connected to the LINE INPUTS of the mixer.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:24 am

This is why I often say to people... rather than a mixer (which exists to mix), you would probably be better ditching the mixer and getting an audio interface with sufficient inputs (which exists to keep separate).
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.