You are here

Used Mic Noisy Signal "Wind Noise" Rumble

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Used Mic Noisy Signal "Wind Noise" Rumble

Postby Rjg236 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:45 pm

Good forum. I’ve been learning a lot. I’m a live musician, just finished recording my first album in a real studio this summer and I’m setting up a little home recording studio for songwriting and recording at home. I have a couple of PA’s and am familiar with live gear and sound. In the past I have used Zoom and Tascam portables for recording at home. This weekend I picked up a used Rode NT2-A microphone and upon setup I immediately heard a loud rumble sound similar to wind noise through the monitors. I swapped XLR cables but no change. I plugged in one of my Audix OM-2 dynamic mics with phantom power turned off and the signal was perfectly clean. Then I tried an old MXR 990 I had in a case on the shelf and it's shotgun accessory 991 mic. The 990 made the same sound as the NT2-A. The 991 shotgun was clear as a bell. Then I decided to try the Rode into my Tascam DR-44WL as an interface direct into headphones. Same Noise. So by process of elimination is it likely I have two damp capsules in two large diaphragm condenser mics? I’m stumped.

My setup is a Behringer UMC404HD interface into Reaper on Windows - JBL 305P MkII monitors, Audio Technica AT5050 cans

Thanks for your help in advance.
Rjg236

Re: Used Mic Noisy Signal "Wind Noise" Rumble

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:52 pm

Rjg236 wrote:So by process of elimination is it likely I have two damp capsules in two large diaphragm condenser mics?

Yes, I fear so.

The noises could also be due to failing or contaminated impedance converter circuitry, but damp and/or contaminated capsules are the most likely.

Place the mic, capsule first, in an unsealed plastic (freezer-style) bag (to keep dust out) and place in a warm, dry environment (like an airing cupboard) for 48-72 hours. Then y again to see if the noises have gone.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound