You are here

Anyone Have Stories for this Mic? (NAPCEC Super-Cardiod)

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Anyone Have Stories for this Mic? (NAPCEC Super-Cardiod)

Postby BookMaster » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:02 am

SPEC:
NAP CEC Super-Cardiod V80054BK01

So random happenstance put this mic in front of me for about $20 and I took a shot on it because it's essentially new in box and I wanted to try out a shotgun style mic. The kicker is I can't find anything about it anywhere. I infer it's so old (NAPCEC, aka Philips, doesn't even have tech documentation for it anymore that I've found) that I'm just going to have to try it out to see if it's worth anything but I decided to reach out and see if anyone knows anything about this line of mics. About the best I can figure is it's early to mid 80s manufacture.

Pics here (including rather slim documentation): https://imgur.com/gallery/DesO5KM
BookMaster

Re: Anyone Have Stories for this Mic? (NAPCEC Super-Cardiod)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:48 am

I've not come across that mic before. Extraordinary!

It's hard to see from the images, but are there acoustic slots on the long tube, or is the sound entry purely at the larger end section?
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Anyone Have Stories for this Mic? (NAPCEC Super-Cardiod)

Postby BookMaster » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:22 am

Think I solved the mystery. It appears to be an uncommon accessory for the Magnavox line of camcorders (other than the VR8208AV01 I haven't found any definitive Ext Mic jacks on most of the existing model images). After digging around with partial part numbers I tracked down a few examples of spare batteries with similar packaging. I'll throw up some additional photos later this evening with the mic out of the windshield. Maybe I can mount it to a standard cold shoe and see what happens. :think:
BookMaster