You are here

Monitor Upgrade Hmmm.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Monitor Upgrade Hmmm.

Postby Taxman » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:04 am

Hello everyone.

I think I may need to get some monitors. I mix with AKG 702’s and reference with KRK RP6 g1’s. Mainly because I believe the 702s are better headphones than the KRKs are monitors if that makes sense.

I’d like to do it the other way around preferably.

I have maxed out the number of DIY panels and traps I can have in the room, and I’m pretty pleased with it really.

Having looked around I’ve narrowed the choices down to:

Yamaha HS7 (neutral)
Adam T5V (great value but perhaps more coloured)

I’m looking for a good match with the AKG 702 if possible. I love them.

Although budget is rather tight I think one of the above will present a considerable improvement over the KRKs.

Any advice as usual is greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Sam
Taxman
Regular

Re: Monitor Upgrade Hmmm.

Postby RichardT » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:15 am

Taxman wrote:Hello everyone.

I think I may need to get some monitors. I mix with AKG 702’s and reference with KRK RP6 g1’s. Mainly because I believe the 702s are better headphones than the KRKs are monitors if that makes sense.

I’d like to do it the other way around preferably.

I have maxed out the number of DIY panels and traps I can have in the room, and I’m pretty pleased with it really.

Having looked around I’ve narrowed the choices down to:

Yamaha HS7 (neutral)
Adam T5V (great value but perhaps more coloured)

I’m looking for a good match with the AKG 702 if possible. I love them.

Although budget is rather tight I think one of the above will present a considerable improvement over the KRKs.

Any advice as usual is greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Sam

The Rp6g1s are/were more expensive than the new monitors you’re looking at (unless I’ve made a mistake). If that’s true, why do you think the new monitors would be better?
RichardT
Regular

Postby Taxman » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:40 am

Hi Richard, thank you for your swift reply!

Ive been reading a lot of user experiences, many of which mirror my situation. The vast majority of these user experiences suggest that one of the above would be an improvement on the Rokits.

I must say that the the bass information doesn’t translate as I would like between my headphones and monitors. I notice with reference tracks that the KRKs are perhaps a little ‘hyped’ down there. Hence the question about a good match for the AKGs. Although I’m getting better at it!

Cheers, Sam
Taxman
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:02 am

I don't have any experience of your suggested speakers so can't comment on those.

Being realistic you're going to have tp spend a LOT on monitors to come close to the 702s - especially in the lower registers.

I have some (now called) KRK V series (the 4s in my case) bought on recommendation from a pro engineer whose judgement I greatly respect and I find they compliment my 702s well.

Note the word 'compliment'. I don't use an either/or approach, but usually adopt both/and. So most of my work is done on the KRKs, but to be certain of what's happening at the low end I'll use the headphones.

There are some here who do it the other way around - mostly on headphones, but 'portability' and other checks done on monitors.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Taxman » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:34 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that. Yes, getting a noticeable improvement will mean laying out more moola.

Perhaps I could save, but perhaps I could just get better at using what I have ;

Cheers, Sam
Taxman
Regular