You are here

Western Electric 618 microphone connector type?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Western Electric 618 microphone connector type?

Postby brunofunk » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:47 pm

Hi all, I have hit a wall trying to identify the type of connection on my western electric 618a mic I recently acquired.
The connection cable is seen here:
The article it is from is the most info I can find but doesn't name the type of connection. I would love to build that exact cable as seen in the pic. Any info on the connector type name or where to find one is greatly appreciated! I really like how it sounds but I am trying to avoid soldering the wires directly to it.
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:37 pm

Re: Western Electric 618 microphone connector type?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:00 pm

I believe the connector you need is a Western Electric 285A... But I have no idea where you'd find one. Its obviously long since obsoleted, and only ever had one manufacturer.

Your best bet is probably a trawl of the vintage mic specialists in the USA.

The connector has a lever on the side that operates a cam locking mechanism to hold the connector in place and close the mic's socket contact springs onto the plug connector pins.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 28558
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound