You are here

Does everyone need Studio SOS?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Does everyone need Studio SOS?

Postby wireman » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:04 am

I came across the following on Youtube, sounded pretty good for what seems to be coming from an Apogee HypeMic, iPad and GarageBand in a living room.

Mat and Savanna Shaw: All I Ask Of You

From a Q&A video:

Q: Did you use reverb?
A: We don't even know what reverb is.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Re: Does everyone need Studio SOS?

Postby blinddrew » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:34 pm

It's a bit early in the week to be getting into philosophy isn't it? ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:51 pm

wireman wrote:I came across the following on Youtube, sounded pretty good for what seems to be coming from an Apogee HypeMic, iPad and GarageBand in a living room.

Mat and Savanna Shaw: All I Ask Of You

From a Q&A video:

Q: Did you use reverb?
A: We don't even know what reverb is.

Smoke and mirrors :) "seems" is the key word here.

Look at the throat of the guy when he's going up in pitch - it doesn't move at all. Most likely they're miming over a pre-recorded take.

Alternatively - that room is big and has a sloped ceiling. It might just sound good. But it's unlikely. In other videos (with two mics visible, with a piano and in a small room, sa apparently live takes... the sound is the same. And there's no way the piano is gonna sound that way in the room with two mics).

It may be she's his daughter :D

Nothin wrong with it - it's show business.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby wireman » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:58 pm

I was a little suspicious and that mic does come with a pop shield which they are not using (even in a video with one mic each) so perhaps the recorded take is not the video one?
The video that included a piano did surprise me given how many pages of discussion on these forums is devoted to the technicalities of recording pianos.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:52 pm

I believe it completely.

I also believe in : the Loch Ness Monster, Aliens are fascinated with our bottoms, we are being ruled by lizards, Elvis is alive and flipping burgers, Atlantis, green felt tips make CDs sound better, you need to pay over £1000 for a power lead for a hi-fi, Paul died in 1966, vampires, werewolves, honest politicians .... the whole shooting match ...

I don't let mad things like my eyes, ears and brain get in the way of a good belief ... :D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Music Wolf » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:27 pm

That made me want to vomit.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:31 pm

I went there, then I realised it was musical theatre-based content, and I backed away really quickly...

Sorry, I just can't do musical theatre... :shudder:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby MOF » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:59 pm

In this one https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cqFCbtRz1Z0 he’s sometimes out of synch (almost looks like he’s forgotten the words) whereas she’s in synch as far as I can tell.
As for reverb I can believe it’s naturally like that in that room.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:34 pm

I was morbidly fascinated, and read some of the comments (slow day at the studio, yeah).

Thing is, we may be simply too near to music production to actually judge what's vomit-worthy or not. Loads of people seemed genuinely touched. They like the idea of father and daughter doing live performances together, way more than the reality of it being a show.
No different than most movies and successful TV series, really. Or politics, these days.

There's a lesson there somewhere, about commercial success I think... if you hit the right buttons, people will follow. And these buttons aren't complicated at all.

I don't like the genre and the production at all but I am strangely impressed by the result.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:43 pm

CS70 wrote:Thing is, we may be simply too near to music production to actually judge what's vomit-worthy or not

Not so much. I can appreciate talent that's good, regardless of whether I personally like it or not - just as I can appreciate well-written songs I don't like, or great bands I don't like (same with all art, really).

There's a lot of musical theatre where the standards of the performers are pretty incredible, and the writing and construction and design of a good musical is a pretty intricate and complicated thing to do well. And all the time I'd be watching it, while being forced to sit through it, I'd be trying damn hard to concentrate on and appreciate the talent involved, and the writing and all the moving pieces honed to perfection... while simultaneously hating every second of it :)

At the end of the end, music is there to communicate with it's audience, and if you can do that well, that's a gift. This is completely independent of style. If you can connect with people who love your art, then that's a great thing, regardless of what your art is, or who your audience are... and good luck to them. :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby CS70 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:49 pm

desmond wrote:At the end of the end, music is there to communicate with it's audience, and if you can do that well, that's a gift.

Yeah, I was thinking that that communication is often simpler than one thinks. Fathers and daughters singing together is nice.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:50 pm

I still can’t believe The Phantom is closed
(Where’s that sarcasm font? Must be here somewhere. . . .
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:55 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I still can’t believe The Phantom is closed. . . .[/i]

And what about The Mouse Trap? :protest:

The Mousetrap opened in London's West End in 1952 and ran continuously until March 16, 2020, when the stage performances had to be discontinued due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Wikipedia
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,638 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Arpangel » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:53 pm

I’m sceptical, that’s all I can say, her mouth is the wrong shape on some syllables, and he’s out of sync.
That’s all I can offer.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:56 pm

desmond wrote:I went there, then I realised it was musical theatre-based content, and I backed away really quickly...

Sorry, I just can't do musical theatre... :shudder:

I like some musical theatre. But I could only stand a couple of seconds of that.

(Last thing I saw was Matilda. Was OK.)

BJG145
Jedi Poster

Next