You are here

A floppy drive orchestra!!!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: A floppy drive orchestra!!!

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:55 pm

There was a suggestion that when 3.5" mini floppy discs came out they be referred to as 'crunchy discs' :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:59 pm

In South Africa they used call them Stiffies to differentiate from the 7" ones that were still common at the time.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:03 pm

I remember 5 ¼" floppies, my BBC Master 128 has a very expensive external floppy drive which used them...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:07 pm

What were those clear plastic things with tape in called? You used them for much bigger files?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:08 am

Tape dispensers?
:smirk:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:05 am

They were something drives, we used to use them for large artwork files, for example, mid-late 80s??
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Kwackman » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:27 am

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:They were something drives, we used to use them for large artwork files, for example, mid-late 80s??

I think I remember those being used on old AMS Audiofile editors - something like exibite?

[EDIT] Google suggested Exabyte, although that also seems to refer to a value of bytes as well as a system?

[EDIT#2] Googling "AMS Neve Exabyte" got some results showing it did exist as a system. Score for an old man's memory! However, it might have been a propriety system used by AMS, so maybe this isn't the system you were looking for?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby rockydennis » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:30 am

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:They were something drives, we used to use them for large artwork files, for example, mid-late 80s??
IBM 3480?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_3480_Family
rockydennis
Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:40 am

rockydennis wrote:
IBM 3480?

We used to use something like that to back up our MicroVAX(*), we just referred to them as tape cartridges.

(*) for the uninitiated a MicroVAX is not, in fact, a very small vacuum cleaner :beamup:
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby wireman » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:52 am

Rich Hanson wrote:
rockydennis wrote:
IBM 3480?

We used to use something like that to back up our MicroVAX(*), we just referred to them as tape cartridges.

(*) for the uninitiated a MicroVAX is not, in fact, a very small vacuum cleaner :beamup:

For some reason my brain has dredged up the designation TK50, this may or may not be relevant.

Anyway there were I think multiple sizes of floppies that were floppy and had no hard outer case, came in a sleeve.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:59 am

"Anyway there were I think multiple sizes of floppies that were floppy and had no hard outer case, came in a sleeve."

Yes! Seen them on Quest, about 18" across? Were indeed without rigidity unless spun up at some terrifying RPM rate.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:51 am

Found it! Syquest disks...these chaps...

They weren't tapes at all! My memory playing tricks because they look a bit like a cassette! :oops:
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:08 am

Not cassettes then? ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:27 pm

I had an MO drive and cartridges for awhile. Never had an issue with losing data. Smaller version of the Syquest cartridge. MO sounded like a format that should have become a standard, but I guess recordable CD and DVD was more cost efficient.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:49 pm

The Floppytron has got to be one of the greatest electromechanical instruments of all time, if for no other reason than it keeps these units out of the landfill and repurposes there existence far longer than was originally planned for! There's a philosophy buried in here somewhere lol. :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext