You are here

Microphone for voiceover

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Microphone for voiceover

Postby dvdrom » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:00 pm

Hey there,

I'm looking for a USB microphone for making a voiceover, after some time spent browsing amazon and bunch of other websites, I found these 3 pieces listed below.

Just before that I want to mention that the problem with my current microphone I have is that once I record my voice, and then put that file into my video software, the volume of that audio is very low. And when I try to increase it (by some software like Wavepad), it not only decreases quality of my voice, but also increases the noise background so much, that it's possible to hear.
So what I want to try to avoid by buying a new microphone looking for one with an option of increasing the recording volume. I have seen that some microphones have some option called "Gain" - is that what am I looking for?

My list of microphones that I'm interested in so far:

Blue yeti
Fifine USB Microphone
Neewer USB microphone

The price should be around these numbers. I know that the second one and the third one already have something like built-in amplifier (that I want for solving my problem mentioned above), but I'm not sure about the first one (Blue Yeti). Would you have any suggestion for me?

Thanks.
dvdrom
New here

Re: Microphone for voiceover

Postby James Perrett » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:26 pm

Before spending any money it might be worth telling us which mic you use already. Are you connecting it to an audio interface or directly to the mic jack on your computer? Could you post a sample recording somewhere for us to listen to?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:40 pm

I have had two of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Citronic-Ccu3- ... B01N2Z959Q
and can say they are smooth low noise performers with plenty of "gain".

Do however take note of Jame's comments. A USB microphone might not be what you really need, a much more flexible setup is a conventional passive mic and an Audio Interface.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:10 am

Welcome dvdrom! :thumbup:

As James has said, I suspect that this is more about your current way of recording than a problem with the mic you're currently using.

Please give us more information about the mic, how you connect and what software you're using to record with. Thanks!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby dvdrom » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:04 pm

Cheap one, Hama, but for recording I mainly use Wavepad. All I do is just connecting my mic to PC with USB. For increasing the volume I use amplify option in wavepad, I just select whole track and set amplify to 250% or so.
dvdrom
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:16 pm

How close to the mic are you speaking? The further away you are the greater the background noise will be relative to the 'wanted audio' (i.e. your voice).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:30 pm

dvdrom wrote:Cheap one, Hama, but for recording I mainly use Wavepad.

Is it the one at

https://cpc.farnell.com/hama/00139907/m ... dp/CS32818

If so, have you set the volume in the control panel as described in the manual?

Just noticed that the manual for the cheaper version also describes the same process.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:45 pm

Ah yes James I was about to suggest OP check Windows Sound settings.

Good that there is something about it in the book but Windows sound panel can present in slightly different ways in different motherboards and W7 and W10 are very different*

*Both do EXACTLY the same bloody thing ONCE you have worked it out. WHY the eff did they have to re-write the whole shooting match to DO nothing differently?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby dvdrom » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:07 am

No, mine doesnt have any option to increase volume in Win10 settings. I only have microphone option 0-100, and I was already trying to change it but did not make any difference about audio volume. The second option (+ some amount of dB) my microphone does not have. Might this be the problem? Does any of those microphones listed above have this option? That might be what am I looking for.
dvdrom
New here

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:35 am

dvdrom wrote:No, mine doesnt have any option to increase volume in Win10 settings. I only have microphone option 0-100, and I was already trying to change it but did not make any difference about audio volume. The second option (+ some amount of dB) my microphone does not have. Might this be the problem? Does any of those microphones listed above have this option? That might be what am I looking for.

In Windows 10, what volume is shown in 'Device Properties'?

This little vid I've just made may help... https://youtu.be/VaMf6N4885E
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby dbfs » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:06 pm

Just wondering if the original poster found Mikes video worked.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Postby dvdrom » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:49 pm

Thanks for the video. That option, to increase / decrease volume is exactly the one that I was trying to use, but the volume was still the same, even at 0% or 100%. That´s why do I think that it doesn´t have any impact on my microphone as long as it doesn´t have the "gain" option. Is that correct?
dvdrom
New here

Postby The Elf » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:46 pm

If you want proper control of mic levels then a USB mic is not the way to go. You would probably be advised to look at a USB audio interface that has a mic pre-amp and a standard mic connection.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ef37a » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:36 pm

The Elf wrote:If you want proper control of mic levels then a USB mic is not the way to go. You would probably be advised to look at a USB audio interface that has a mic pre-amp and a standard mic connection.

That is very true Elf but I am not sure the chap is doing it properly?

I have just done a recording with my Citronics USB mic at first 100% setting in Windows sounds and then at 10%. The resulting levels are WAY different.

Now, if he is saying, "even with Win sounds at 100% I cannot get a good level" then I would say there is something wrong with the microphone.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby dvdrom » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:39 pm

Recommendation that I got for making voiceover pretty much included USB microphone so I think it can work with it. Also on youtube, many guys making test videos just pluged USB into PC and the audio (mean volume) was just good. I do not know why is this not the case of my current microphone, but I still think looking for some with higher quality overall could solve it.
dvdrom
New here

Next