You are here

Anyone got any hands on experience with the Aston Stealth?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Anyone got any hands on experience with the Aston Stealth?

Postby blinddrew » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:16 pm

I have, of course, read the good Doctor's review, but just wondering if anyone had a bit of longer term exposure?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Anyone got any hands on experience with the Aston Stealth?

Postby Random Guitarist » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:46 pm

Have one here, it's a very nice dynamic mic. The internal boost circuit is effective and low noise. Mainly used with a neve style preamp into an LA3A with V1 setting on male voice. Gives a smooth full vocal sound that is easy to mix. Have used it on bass cabs as well and liked that too. I didn't much care for the guitar and dark settings TBH but the V1 setting on it's own is good.

I bought early on at full price, and was happy with value for money then. Now, at around £230, I'd say it's a bit of a bargain.

The supplied mic clip is sort of OK, and the internal shock damping is pretty good. I ended up buying the accessory Aston shockmount, it fits both this mic and other smaller bodied condenser mics that I have so there is less faffing with mic stands.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby blinddrew » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:24 am

Thanks RG. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:05 pm

I've used one occasionally as a friend has one. Absolutely ok mic, and interesting with the passive/active thing and voicings (even if I've not explored very much).

The only remark: as a dynamic, is it big (using it as a snare bottom is a bit more cumbersome than normal) and we had to support it with another stand (but then it was in an odd position).
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:35 pm

Indeed, i can only assume it was named ironically. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby John Willett » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:15 pm

Look at PPM6TV on You Tube.

He has been doing various microphone comparisons.

The guy is ex BBC and knows his stuff.

Aston Stealth vs Gefell MD 100

AKG, Aston, Audio Technica, Audix,Austrian Audio,Beyerdynamic, Gefell, Neumann, Sennheiser, Shure

You can see a list of his microphone comparison videos HERE

He is reading and switches between various microphones so you can clearly hear the difference with speech - a good test. :thumbup:

PPM6TV is also good to watch if you are interested in other mics as he has tried out a wide range from quite a few manufacturers.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby jaminem » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:28 pm

I was an early adopter.
as others have said its a good mic, perfectly good enough for the the tasks that it is intended.

...but...

and this is purely objective I never reach for it in preference to other mics. As a vocal mic, id take an SM7b over it for the people I record every time. For guitar, i like it but id still take a 57, 53, a 421 or an 121 over it. its ok on bass etc...

If you only have a few mics in the locker, then I suspect you will always find a use for it, but i'm fortunate enough to have a decent mic locker so its never a 'first pick' or even a 2nd...

Oh and the internal pre-amp in INSANELY loud, its like practically line level coming out of that thing, so you always have to be on your guard and remember to turn the pre-amp gain down before you plug in...

Just my opinion of course...perfectly capable mic, just a jack of all trades and master of none?
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:07 pm

jaminem wrote:Oh and the internal pre-amp in INSANELY loud, its like practically line level coming out of that thing, so you always have to be on your guard and remember to turn the pre-amp gain down before you plug in...

Yes... that was my feeling too! :o
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Dave Rowles » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:30 pm

jaminem wrote:just a jack of all trades and master of none?

...but oftentimes better than a master of one." That's the full quote which is always reduced.

I think the whole post is good though. If you've only got a couple of mics, then having a mic that can take on a lot of tasks is a good thing. If you're lucky enough to have a wide selection then it might not fit into what you already have.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man