You are here

Incorrect Connection?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Incorrect Connection?

Postby JRocker » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:02 am

I just did a bit of a change around with my set up and for strange reason, I have the following problem.

Have an outboard compressor and outboard EQ hooked up to my interface and am inserting them into an audio track in my DAW.

This is the set up:

Interface OUT 1 - into - IN of Compressor

Interface OUT 2 - into IN of EQ

Compressor OUT - into interface IN 3

EQ Out - into Interface IN 4

The INS 1 & 2 of interface are used for MICS thus why I use 3 & 4 for my outboard gear.

In my DAW I have added IN and OUT busses 'COMP' and 'EQ'.

In the track inspector I select a track and insert COMP for STEREO IN and STEREO OUT.

On same track I insert EQ for STEREO IN and STEREO OUT.

But when I playback I get not sound coming out though I can see the EQ and COMP working. Any idea what is going on? I must have incorrectly connected something wrong a long the way.
JRocker
Regular

Re: Incorrect Connection?

Postby blinddrew » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:26 am

You've definitely got the hardware coming back on the input not the insert?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:07 pm

Which interface? Depending on the interface and its routing system, you may need to explicitly tell it how to move the signal around (for example, with RME's Totalmix it can be a pain until you understand how it works)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby JRocker » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:43 pm

blinddrew wrote:You've definitely got the hardware coming back on the input not the insert?

Oh, OK. So thats why! In that case, how do I route (connect) so that it comes back into the insert?
JRocker
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:17 pm

As CS70 said, what interface are you using?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby JRocker » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:16 am

sorry, the interface is a ESU1808
JRocker
Regular

Postby CS70 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:31 am

JRocker wrote:But when I playback I get not sound coming out though I can see the EQ and COMP working. Any idea what is going on? I must have incorrectly connected something wrong a long the way.

Sorry I re-read this a little more slowly.

There's two things at play when using outboard: the first, as I mentioned, it's the interface routing. Not familiar with your interface, but hopefully it has a control panel with some meters that can show you that, indeed, you have signal present at the interface inputs 3 and 4 (that the outboard receives a signal, you know already because the meters on the outboard tell you, if I understand you well).

Second... normally a DAW will happily output signals to a track output but ignore any input, unless that track is armed for recording. You also need software monitoring enabled if you want to actually hear what you are recording - unless your interface has direct monitoring.

Basically if an interface output is not set up in any armed track, it will be ignored... you can see that easily if you connect a mic to Input 1 - nothing from it will be recorded (or even heard, if you don't have direct monitoring) unless you arm a track to pick up the signal from that input.

Now I don't know which DAW you're using, but to overcome the behavior above, DAWs typically come with a special plugin called "external insert" or something like that.

This plugin can be placed in the insert slot of a track, configured with a hardware input and an output, and actively processes anything that appears there.

So basically to use the outboard as an insert, you want to use this "external insert" plugin.

If you want to use tracks, then you have to create and empty track, set up its inputs and outputs, arm it for recording, push "record" and have the entire source track play back. Usually you do just that when you have found the right settings for the outboard - to "print" the processed signal (and then mute the original source signal) so that you can then reuse the hardware for another track.

If you have done both things - routing and external insert configuration - then it should work, and if it doesn't I would have no idea why :D
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby JRocker » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:36 pm

Thanks for this. I have Cubase (.5 LE.

There is a signal, as I can see the LEDs on Comp working but obviously the output of the track inside my DAW is incorrectly configurated. Which is where my problem is.
You mentioned an 'external insert plugin'? Where can i download this, maybe this can easily solve my issue and help me configure the routing correctly.
JRocker
Regular

Postby CS70 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:54 pm

JRocker wrote:Thanks for this. I have Cubase (.5 LE.

There is a signal, as I can see the LEDs on Comp working but obviously the output of the track inside my DAW is incorrectly configurated. Which is where my problem is.
You mentioned an 'external insert plugin'? Where can i download this, maybe this can easily solve my issue and help me configure the routing correctly.

Should be already part of the DAW.. The Elf surely knows. Could be that it's missing from the LE version - I found this link that seems to say it's only Cubase Pro.

But you can do without - even as I say it's cumbersome - by trying to print the result.

Which means: say you have a VOX track you want to (say) compress. Create a new track VOX-COMP and:

1) set the output of the VOX track to the compressor in (i.e. the interface out). Not sure about Cubase, could be that you have to set up a send instead (but since you see the compressor working, you already know it's done).
2) set the input of the VOX-COMP track to be compressor output (i.e. the interface in) - the same way you do when you want to record from any interface in.
3) arm the VOX-COMP track for recording
4) hit "record" and let the track play.

This will basically send the original track from the DAW VOX track out to the interface, in the compressor, back to the interface and to the DAW VOX-COMP track which, being armed for recording (and you having told the DAW to record, by pushing "record" instead of "play"), will pick up and record anything that appears at its input. All in real time.

At this point, once stopped the recording, you should get a waveform in the VOX-COMP track. You may need to adjust input and output of the compressor to ensure the result has a similar level to the original track. You can also de-gain afterwards if you're a little hot, but beware of any distortion due to level.

If you get a flat waveform, then your routing in the interface is not working... or another option is that your compressor output is set too low (or the input attenuator, if it has one, is set too low.. what hardware compressor was it again?)
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:41 pm

CS70 wrote:Should be already part of the DAW.. The Elf surely knows. Could be that it's missing from the LE version - I found this link that seems to say it's only Cubase Pro.
Pro feature only, I'm afraid. You will need to set up your own I/O routing.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.