You are here

Switching phantom power on/off with mic connected

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Switching phantom power on/off with mic connected

Postby chanceoperation » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:56 pm

Hi Folks

I tried searching the (huge) forum for this, and while I found lots of advice re phantom power and dynamics or ribbons, I did not find an answer to this question.

What with all the web conferencing going on, I now have a nice condenser (AKG 535EB) permanently connected to a mic input on my audio interface (MOTU 828ES).

The thing about web cams and web mics is you don't want them on when you think they are off (for example, a top New Yorker writer just got in big trouble for exposing himself during a web conference with his editors -- he thought the cam was off -- ouch).

There is a button on the face plate of the 838ES that makes it easy to turn the 48v on and off. So, I have fallen into the habit of using this as the quickest and easiest way to mute the mic. With phantom power on, the button lights up bright red. So, from across the room, it's nearly impossible not to notice when it is on. Works a charm.

Can I damage my mic doing this regularly?

Thanks all and cheers,

Andrew Culver
chanceoperation
Poster

Re: Switching phantom power on/off with mic connected

Postby CS70 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:02 pm

No, it shouldn't be damaged.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:03 pm

chanceoperation wrote:There is a button on the face plate of the 838ES that makes it easy to turn the 48v on and off. So, I have fallen into the habit of using this as the quickest and easiest way to mute the mic. ... Can I damage my mic doing this regularly?

No, you can't damage the mic by switching phantom on and off - it's a perfectly safe way of turning the mic on and off.

Just be aware that some mics produce a few thumps and/or spats as they power up and down, so best to power up before logging into your web conferencing, and power down after logging out, just to avoid upsetting your colleagues.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby chanceoperation » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:22 pm

Thanks Hugh and CS70.
chanceoperation
Poster