You are here

any ideas how I could rack mount an old mackie mixer?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

any ideas how I could rack mount an old mackie mixer?

Postby al_diablo » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:29 pm

I have a small rack cabinet in my studio, next to the desk where my mixer is. I wanted to buy an angled rack so I could stand the mixer on top of the cabinet and regain some desk space.

Unfortunately my mixer is an older model - a 1620i - and I can't find rack ears for it. Is there such a thing as a generic rackmount I could use?

My other thought was to build or buy some kind of wedge to angle it, but that seemed like more effort and potentially less stability, which is less desirable with a toddler in the house
al_diablo
Regular

Re: any ideas how I could rack mount an old mackie mixer?

Postby ef37a » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:41 pm

The handbook for that mixer (those were the days!) gives the across face dimensions with an d without rack ears.
I think if you took the mixer and a printout of those dimms' to a metal fabricator he could knock you something up in no time.

Or, you could buy some 3mm ally angle from B&Q and breakout the Deck&Blacker?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby al_diablo » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:45 pm

ef37a wrote:The handbook for that mixer (those were the days!) gives the across face dimensions with an d without rack ears.
I think if you took the mixer and a printout of those dimms' to a metal fabricator he could knock you something up in no time.

Or, you could buy some 3mm ally angle from B&Q and breakout the Deck&Blacker?

Dave.

Genius - I bought it used with no documentation and must have missed that when I read the handbook online.
al_diablo
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:45 pm

Here's a link to the fitting instructions for the rack mount kit.

https://mackie.com/sites/default/files/ ... ctions.pdf

You should be able to get a local metal fabricator to copy the brackets quite affordably. And it tells you what screw sizes are needed.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité