You are here

Probably going to purchase the Soudcraft Signature 22MTK, any warnings/suggestions?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Probably going to purchase the Soudcraft Signature 22MTK, any warnings/suggestions?

Postby seriousnewbie » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:37 pm

Hello, I will most likely purchase the Soundcraft Signature 22MTK in the not so near future. I have been looking into this mixer for a while, I have watched videos of people mixing songs on it, and I am addicted to its sound. It can do pretty much everything I want from it. So before I make the leap, whenever I do, I wanted to see if anyone on the SOS forum had any reason why I wouldn't want to buy it, and if anyone who has had/has the board, has any warnings about it.

I know I will get the reply asking why I need a mixer, and that I should just get an audio interface.:headbang: :D

Here is why, most audio interfaces only have 8 analog inputs, that is not enough inputs. I know that there are ways to pair audio interfaces to get more inputs. that won't work for 2 reasons, reason #1 being that getting another audio interface that is also 8 inputs, would be more expensive than getting the Soundcraft Signature 22MTK (assuming I get a good quality audio interface, like from Focusrite or something), so what's the point? Also yes, there are audio interfaces that have more than 8 analog inputs, but as far as I know, they are also more expensive than the Soundcraft Signature 22MTK, so there wouldn't be much of a point to that either.

Thank you too everyone for taking your time to read my post. I am interested to see what is said about the board.

P.S. I don't know if it matters, but I am recording on a Windows computer.
seriousnewbie
Poster

Re: Probably going to purchase the Soudcraft Signature 22MTK, any warnings/suggestions?

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:01 pm

Getting 24/22 USB I/O from reasonable quality interfaces is certainly going to cost at least as much as the Soundcraft and as I always though Soundcraft analogue desks sounded good for the money I'd say go for it.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Probably going to purchase the Soudcraft Signature 22MTK, any warnings/suggestions?

Postby seriousnewbie » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:02 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Getting 24/22 USB I/O from reasonable quality interfaces is certainly going to cost at least as much as the Soundcraft and as I always though Soundcraft analogue desks sounded good for the money I'd say go for it.

I appreciate the response!
seriousnewbie
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:06 pm

Do you need the faders and physical eq or is it just the input count you're after? If the latter it might be worth looking at the soundcraft ui24?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby seriousnewbie » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:24 pm

blinddrew wrote:Do you need the faders and physical eq or is it just the input count you're after? If the latter it might be worth looking at the soundcraft ui24?

Hi drew, thanks for the response! The faders and physical EQ are not a "necessity", although I would like them, still it's not a necessity. So I looked at the price new for the Soundcraft ui24 on Guitar Center, Sweetwater, and Musicians friend, it is consistently $1,099. So that is more expensive then a new Soundcraft Sig. 22MTK. Although the used prices are amazing for the UI24 (around $600), that isn't much lower than what I could get the Soundcraft Signature 22MTK used. So I would still choose the Soudcraft Sig. 22MTK, because the price difference new is better, and used price isn't enough of a difference to make me decide to give up the analog feel that the Soundcraft Signature could give me. Not to mention the fact that I would most likely have to pay more to get a good vst eq plugin, especially one that is equivalent to what the Soundcraft has built in.
seriousnewbie
Poster

Postby resistorman » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:06 am

I think Soundcraft makes the best sounding budget analog mixers. That said, my experience has been less than stellar with their Windows drivers, though at the time I was using an AMD Ryzen 2700x machine, which may have been a contributing factor. I would scout around and find out how well they are working with Windows machines similar to yours.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:43 am

Sounds like a good plan. I considered the 12MTK. Features on that one offer more than so many others, right. I went with a Mackie due to size constraints. The EQ on the soundcraft is better. Lots of bests found in that one mixer type.

Postby blinddrew » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:04 am

seriousnewbie wrote:
blinddrew wrote:Do you need the faders and physical eq or is it just the input count you're after? If the latter it might be worth looking at the soundcraft ui24?

Hi drew, thanks for the response! The faders and physical EQ are not a "necessity", although I would like them, still it's not a necessity. So I looked at the price new for the Soundcraft ui24 on Guitar Center, Sweetwater, and Musicians friend, it is consistently $1,099. So that is more expensive then a new Soundcraft Sig. 22MTK.

Interesting, you can get them for around the same price in the UK. But if you want the 'desk' then you're clearly better with the 22MTK anyway.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:20 am

Just a thought... and I've done no qualitative research...

Would the Zoom Livetraks be contenders in this market... or the Tascam equivalent?

Jus' wonderin'.... :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:36 am

The MTK is fine, it has nothing you don’t need, the EQ is fine, and the sound is a cut above average, the Lexicon effects are very usable. Not much to say, if I was in this market I’d buy it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:47 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Just a thought... and I've done no qualitative research...

Would the Zoom Livetraks be contenders in this market... or the Tascam equivalent?

I can confirm that the Tascam Model 12 Windows drivers and sound quality are very good.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:04 pm

resistorman wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:Just a thought... and I've done no qualitative research...

I can confirm that the Tascam Model 12 Windows drivers and sound quality are very good.

How does two stereo and 6 mono inputs translate into a 12 track interface? no aux returns, limited aux sends, I’d say the MTK is a better buy, if you don’t need the internal recorder.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:04 pm

Arpangel wrote:How does two stereo and 6 mono inputs translate into a 12 track interface?

Because tracks are different from inputs.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:47 pm

Kwackman wrote:
Arpangel wrote:How does two stereo and 6 mono inputs translate into a 12 track interface?

Because tracks are different from inputs.

Sure, but if he gets a 16 input interface, he can "track" 16 physically separate sources into his DAW, the MTK is more or less the same, you can route all the physical channels to your DAW and what you see is what you get, in terms of inputs/track count.
With the Tascam, it "looks" as though you only have 10 physical inputs, and stereo channels don’t count as two separate inputs.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:17 pm

I wasn’t specifically recommending the Model 12, just that it sounds good and the drivers work well. There are other mixers in the range. As I mentioned earlier, my experience with the Soundcraft Windows drivers has been not great and that the OP should research how well the MTK works with his hardware configuration. It may work fine if the OP’ has an Intel machine, I’m running a 2nd gen AMD Ryzen. Also, the drivers may have been updated. Warnings were asked for.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Next