You are here

Probably going to purchase the Soudcraft Signature 22MTK, any warnings/suggestions?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Probably going to purchase the Soudcraft Signature 22MTK, any warnings/suggestions?

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:57 am

DarthPaul wrote:It has five sends, two of which also feed the on board Lexicon effects as well as having output jacks, but no effects returns unless you use channels as i do. Seems odd.

I use stereo returns for basic effects like reverb and delay, I do all the sound shaping in the outboard itself, it saves on input channels, if I can’t do this it uses up too many channel inputs.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Probably going to purchase the Soudcraft Signature 22MTK, any warnings/suggestions?

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:42 am

What you need is a modular desk, buy a couple of mic channels for the marimba and as many stereo input modules as you need for keys and fx returns and the appropriate output modules. It shouldn't cost much more than the price of a small house :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby seriousnewbie » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:33 am

OneWorld wrote:I am liking the look of the Signature 22MTK and did a search and up at the top of the list was Black Friday Sale price at Amazon - £956
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soundcraft-Sig ... B01N7RF38G

The price at Thomann - £699! and yes, includes VAT - https://www.thomann.de/gb/soundcraft_si ... _22mtk.htm

Or am I looking at two different things?

You are looking at the same thing. Although I live in the USA, and there is no sale on the US amazon. Actually, when I converted the pounds to USD, the price is actually higher than the original price for me. 699 pounds to USD is actually $927, and the regular price on amazon is $899.
seriousnewbie
Poster

Postby seriousnewbie » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:38 am

Arpangel wrote:
DarthPaul wrote:
The only improvements I would suggest are that it could do with a few stereo effects return inputs - it has several switchable pre/post fader aux sends yet you have to use input channels to bring external effects back into the mixer. Also some insert points for inline effects would have been useful, as would a number of channel compressors.

It would also have benefitted from a monitor output section. You have to feed your monitors from the main outputs or group outputs with no switching between them and the only volume controls to the monitors are your main or group faders.

In practice it's perfectly usable and fun to use, the audio interface is the key to its appeal for me, but those few additions would have made it a far more user-friendly mixer, albeit at a higher price.

Nevertheless, I heartily recommend the Signature 22 MTK as a mixer and audio interface if you have a number of hardware instruments and effects that need plenty of inputs.

The lack of returns, no control room output, no inserts, these were a deal breaker for me.
I’d recommend getting a multi-channel interface, and pair that with a a more comprehensive mixer, there’s the Soundcraft FX16, or the Yamaha MG20XU, with comps and 8 stereo 8 mono inputs, the 22 MTK is almost perfect, great sound, but the compromises would make it really annoying for me, it’s meant to be used with a DAW at the heart of its operations, but if you’re heavily into hardware outboard, it’s not really a good idea IMO.

Thank you for the suggestion, although getting a more comprehensive mixer and putting into an audio interface, would be WAY to expensive, hell I could buy 2 maybe 3 soundcraft signature 22MTK's with that money. Not to mention that fact that it would take away from the ability to be able to EQ after the track has been recorded, with that, once it is in the computer, its in the computer.
seriousnewbie
Poster

Previous