You are here

Weathervane Music drum overhead technique & New overhead mic suggestions

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Weathervane Music drum overhead technique & New overhead mic suggestions

Postby skipper01 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:45 pm

Hi, thanks in advance for any replies/advice.
I am interested in using/mirroring the bulk of Weathervane music drum mic/set-up mixing approach and, too be fair, their drums and mixes do sound good, plus we are recording music within the same brand area of focus.
We get pretty good results with Recorderman set-up to date and appreciate the numerous other more conventional set-ups to now trial.
We are now finally happy/happier with our room and kit to record the drums.
I can see Weathervane always employ this kind of expanded Recorderman overhead set-up but with the addition of a central O/H mic so 3 overheads in total.
They utilise very very expensive mics with a ribbon on the centre overhead and SDCs on the 2 side mics.
Our plan is to cobble together existing mics and take the essence of their elaborate set-up, plus we only have 9 connections available on our stage box where they use 11 in total in their drum capture set-up.
We are in the market for a new set of overheads with a potential budget of around £1000-£1200 for the pair or less if best/advised ie 414XLS or Neumann Km184.
We also wonder whether it may be better bang for buck for something significantly cheaper ie Aston Starlight amongst others for example.
We could potentially then buy a ie Rode NTR Ribbon for the O/H central as well, but again, although I dont know if thats going to be that much 'better' than the SE R1 we have earmarked for this without trialing.
For the Central mic, we have a cheap SE Electronics R1 ribbon for now to use/try - it sounds pretty good with a 57 on a guitar amp to be fair!
We have the mics below minus the overheads (not decided upon) as we were using a pair of old Gefell UMT70s LDCs for overheads to date but one of them has become unreliable hence the need to chop things about.
The plan with 9 mics is -
kick in - D112 or Audix D6
kick out - reuse working Gefell UMT70 LDC
snare top and bottom - SM57 x2
Overhead centre - SE R1 Ribbon
Over L/R - new TBC x2
Either Toms (more 57s for now) or a single other R1 for a room mic given connectivity.

Thanks in advance again for any info/suggestions re the overheads and Rode NTR against the R1 in particular.
Regards
skipper01
Regular

Re: Weathervane Music drum overhead technique & New overhead mic suggestions

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:15 pm

skipper01 wrote:I am interested in using/mirroring the bulk of Weathervane music drum mic/set-up mixing approach...

There's some completely barking pseudo-science in the set-up instructions for the weathervane configuration. I'm not saying it can't sound good... but its really just a mono overhead with outriggers rolled in glitter! :lol:

As for which SDCs... I'd recommend avoiding anything with a pronounced presence peak -- so the KM184 might not be the best bet. Rode's new TF-5s would sound good in that role... but so would lots of others.

In situations like this the best way forward is to hire a selection of your shortlisted mics over a few days and experiment to see what you like before committing to blowing the money.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Ramirez » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:38 pm

Fix the dodgy Gefell before buying anything else!
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:46 pm

^^^ THIS. Definitely well worth getting the Gefell sorted. Nice mics and with a decent re-sale value!

Sound-Link Pro Audio is the UK agent and will be able to recommend the best course of action.

http://www.sound-link.co.uk/
Hugh Robjohns

Postby skipper01 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:41 pm

Many thanks for the replies and info.
Yes, the Gefells are nice - they are actually the older models but i dont know how old these ones are exactly.
Aside from the issue with one now, there was also a difference in tone with one being slightly darker than the other which was a bit annoying for O/H use. The slightly darker one is the one that has gone faulty.
I'd like to get it/them looked at so thanks again for the advise on that front.
I am a bit torn re potential replacement overhead condenser pairs. I understand SDCs in theory would be ideal for a more natural representation given the science but I am wary as you say of ones that are force coloured to be brighter or overly bright potentially with some cheaper ones.
I'll look again at notions of hiring as i gave in a bit too easy on the last look!

In terms of the Weathervane set-up - They post multitracks of raw and mixed stems and ive spent some time analysing different tracks and have watched their videos.
To be fair, they really do sound good and the drums are terrific in my opinion.
The overhead set-up is quite elaborate for sure.
To be fair again, it really is a fantastic learning aid to reference and A/B stems and mixes etc.
Conversely, most of the fantastic records we aspire too with research appear to use more conventional overhead set-ups so I guess its a case of trying everything and seeing what sounds best and what works with resources available....!

Regards
skipper01
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:21 pm

It's the room, the tuning of the kit and quality of its elements, and the way its played that really makes the difference...
Hugh Robjohns

Postby skipper01 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:38 pm

Thanks Hugh
Yes, fair point - if those factors are correct from the outset i guess all the lovely mics, channels and micing techniques can then truly shine.
The room is clearly a massive factor too as you say.

Cheers again
skipper01
Regular