You are here

Eventide H3000/Eclipse?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Eventide H3000/Eclipse?

Postby Arpangel » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:40 pm

Got a yearning to get another hardware Eventide, I’ve owned H3000's in the past, and sold all of them after the dreaded hum got to me, I could just get another H3000, but it’s pointless, so the only alternative really is an Eclipse, I’ve never used one though, and was wondering if it’s too far from the sound of the H3000?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Eventide H3000/Eclipse?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:56 pm

Ancient technology. You want the H9000... proper clever stuff in that. :D
And an SMPS power section so no acoustic transfomer hum at all, guaranteed!
H9000 Review

To be fair, the Eclipse has an SMPS as well... but the core design is over twenty years old now.
Original Eclipse Review 2001
V4 Eclipse Review 2011

Perhaps a more cost-effective solution to consider is the native H3000 plugin:
https://www.soundonsound.com/news/eventide-h3000-goes-native

Then again, you'll have decided it's all rubbish by tomorrow night and will have become enamoured with some wacky guitar pedal instead... :lol: :wtf:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby desmond » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:56 pm

Another week, another expensive (and probably unnecessary) purchase contemplation for Tony... :lol:

I haven't used either hardware versions, but I'm sure the algorithms will have the same DNA. However, I'd expect the Eclipse to be more "hifi" sounding than the H3000, which is a bit more crunchy vintage digital - and if it's that "older" character you are after, then it's probably not a good replacement. However, if it's the Eventide algorithms you want in hardware, then the modern products like the Eclipse and H9000 are no doubt super-clean and probably the best way to access their high-end DSP processing...

I'm sure you can find audio examples and comparisons online if you're interested to hear them...

The H3000 plugin is fun but is quite fiddly... lots of preset though, but it doesn't offer everything the hardware can do.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby James Perrett » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:54 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a noisy H3000. While it is annoying when everything else is silent, it is the only hardware processor in regular use here because it is quick to drive and versatile.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:25 pm

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby al_diablo » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:51 pm

H9 is both an Eventide AND a wacky guitar pedal!

I have the modfactor and time factor pedals and they are both great.
al_diablo
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:43 pm

I've nearly bought an H9 during about three GAS attacks but have held off as it only supports one patch/algorithm at a time. I ended up with a Headrush Gigboard as being more suited to my needs...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Arpangel » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:58 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Ancient technology. You want the H9000... proper clever stuff in that. :D
And an SMPS power section so no acoustic transfomer hum at all, guaranteed!
H9000 Review

To be fair, the Eclipse has an SMPS as well... but the core design is over twenty years old now.
Original Eclipse Review 2001
V4 Eclipse Review 2011

Perhaps a more cost-effective solution to consider is the native H3000 plugin:
https://www.soundonsound.com/news/eventide-h3000-goes-native

Then again, you'll have decided it's all rubbish by tomorrow night and will have become enamoured with some wacky guitar pedal instead... :lol: :wtf:

I’d still have my H3000 if it wasn’t for the hum, it really is a deal breaker, I’m afraid nothing about the unit makes that worthwhile putting up with, and how it was allowed to happen is beyond me. If you’re in a big studio and it’s buried in a massive rack then you might just not notice it among all the other control room "noise" going on, but in a home studio, right in front of you, forget it.
I don’t want an H9, or the pedals, the H9000 was considered, but I was scared off by real world user reports of bugs and an awkward UI and the fact it’s massively over priced for what it is.
There’s a certain magic in the early Eventide sound that goes beyond my usual chaotic gear searching Hugh, I've owned H910's, 949’s, and H3000’s, those have all got it, but for various reasons, either broke, or had some annoying fault develope, reliability isn’t-wasn’t their strong point, and now, I’d steer clear of those old units, going for stupid prices too.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:28 pm

PS, from the SOS H9000 review...

"but the low whirring of the cooling fan makes it desirable to mount the hardware away from the listening position — and thus out of reach. "

Yet another fan, fans, hummy transformers, I was going to get a Midas mixer but didn’t because it had a fan, this is something that is seldom talked about, but really is annoying to me in "audio" equipment.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:38 pm

Arpangel wrote:...it had a fan, this is something that is seldom talked about...

And yet, I talked about it in that review! :tongue:

And I ALWAYS mention the fan if a product has one... just as I always mention a rattling transformer or audible self-noise from a speaker! These things are important to a potential purchaser and must be reported.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Arpangel » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:51 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:...it had a fan, this is something that is seldom talked about...

And yet, I talked about it in that review! :tongue:

And I ALWAYS mention the fan if a product has one... just as I always mention a rattling transformer or audible self-noise from a speaker! These things are important to a potential purchaser and must be reported.

When I said seldom talked about, I meant by musicians who use them, and endorse them, the noise is never mentioned.
I always think it’ll. be OK and I’ll get used to it, but that never happens, I’ve learnt my lesson now, and it’s partly my fault, I like to work in a "cockpit" with everything I’m making music with right there in front of me in the middle of the speakers, I also like to tweak effects in real time while I’m playing, so they have to be close to me, hence my preference for small pedals now.
I can remember getting a Lexicon 224 and I was so excited that I let all practical considerations go to the wind, the noise it made was so loud it made it completely unusable for me, so I avoid anything like that now, it’s OK if you’ve got a big studio, but not in my place, they just don’t work.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:56 pm

Thankfully, as yet, people making plugin emulations have chosen not to also "faithfully recreate the fan noise" of original units like these as a feature... :lol:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Arpangel » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:20 pm

desmond wrote:Thankfully, as yet, people making plugin emulations have chosen not to also "faithfully recreate the fan noise" of original units like these as a feature... :lol:

They didn’t have to bother, on earlier computers!

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:45 pm

Arpangel wrote:When I said seldom talked about, I meant by musicians who use them, and endorse them, the noise is never mentioned.

Ah yes... Them's what endorse products don't have the same goal as them wot reviews them... :lol:

I'm forever telling that to folks who email me about some product after watching some garbage 'review' on YouTube... :headbang:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Arpangel » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:36 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:When I said seldom talked about, I meant by musicians who use them, and endorse them, the noise is never mentioned.

Ah yes... Them's what endorse products don't have the same goal as them wot reviews them... :lol:

I'm forever telling that to folks who email me about some product after watching some garbage 'review' on YouTube... :headbang:

I’ve never bought anything on the basis of a Youtube review, interesting to see "what’s out there" but that’s it.
I don’t know what it is with YT, they always seem to leave out what anyone would really want to know, and pander to the lowest common denominator.
Back to the H9000, I have to agree, it is very, very good, but how lush do I need my reverbs to be? and at what cost? plus, I’m becoming more of a miser by the second.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Next