You are here

Amp sim noise

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Amp sim noise

Postby jthzp9 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:38 pm

https://soundcloud.com/user-500797446/a ... e-no-input

This is also what makes me believe this is the noise of my interface.
There is no cable connected to 2nd preamp of my interface. Hi-z is selected.

Clip 1: interface hi-z input
Clip 2: interface hi-z input with sgear applied as plugin.

There is nothing connected, so this is just the noise being generated by the interface itself. This is the sound that I'm trying to get rid of.

This is also the same exact noise I'm hearing when I have my guitar plugged in and volume off. It is present throughout the guitar track when recording which I don't like.

Again, comparing to a real guitar amp, when the guitar volume is off, it's quiet, even with enough gain on tap to be in crunch/rock territory.
jthzp9
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:45 pm

Apologies if you've covered this already, but if you take your current set up and record so that your peak signals are at a healthy -10dB and the average is burbling along around -18, what level is this background noise showing on the meters?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:58 pm

Recording your Soundcloud link into Reaper gives me an RMS noise level of around -93dBFS with no effects and -83dBFS with the amp sim enabled. I wouldn't call these levels excessive.

If I'm wrong it might help if you could provide a downloadable link so that we can see the real numbers.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby merlyn » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:03 pm

jthzp9 wrote:Again, comparing to a real guitar amp, when the guitar volume is off, it's quiet, even with enough gain on tap to be in crunch/rock territory.

Something to bear in mind is that the speaker in a guitar amp doesn't reproduce much above 5k. To do a like for like test you could take the output of your interface into the guitar amp with a clean setting or straight into the power amp if that's possible and you know how.

It's the high frequency noise that is particularly noticeable/annoying so you could look at a cabinet emulator with a 5k rolloff or tweak the HF and presence settings on the virtual power amp.
merlyn
Regular

Previous