You are here

Headphone Amp - It's A Tough One !!!!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Headphone Amp - It's A Tough One !!!!

Postby Matthew Seed » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:17 am

Hi guys

I use an UAD Apollo Twin and I am looking to buy a headphone amp, preferably with 2 outputs for tracking.

I have a budget max of £350. I keep seeing the Beyer Dynamics A20. It ticks all the boxes, but then I read a few reviews and guys seem to be saying negative comments.......but as always with the internet, I am not sure how trusted these folks are.

Anyone got one and have anything to say on it.

Or, anyone got any advice on an alternative please ?

I would love the Neve one but its £485. I may have pushed to that for Neve if it had 2 outputs but it's only one.

Thanks guys
Matt
Matthew Seed
Regular

Re: Headphone Amp - It's A Tough One !!!!

Postby blinddrew » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:13 am

If you just need something to add some extra oomph (and options) for tracking, have you considered just adding something like a Behringer HA400?
It would be unusual to need ridiculously high sound quality at the tracking stage.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Matthew Seed » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:16 am

Hi there, thanks for that. I hear ya, the only reason I don't want to go for a cheap boost device like that is not so much the tracking side, as you say that isn't that critical. But, I do use them for mic'ing up acoustic guitars, Cello etc etc and in this capacity I would really like them to maintain some quality.

Thanks
Matt
Matthew Seed
Regular

Postby forumuser931182 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:38 am

If the product is a hifi one you will always get big lovers and big haters on the net and endless discussions.
I imagine the Beyer sounds great. Lehmann Audio also make very nicely designed dual output amp called the Linear ( perhaps second hand if too expensive ). Otherwise lots of headphone amps with 4 outputs e.g. presonus and aphex.
forumuser931182
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:32 pm

Don't dismiss Drew's suggestion - the HA400 doesn't sound bad at all (or at least not with my high impedance HD25's). Your headphones are more likely to be the limiting factor.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby CS70 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:33 pm

Don't know the Beyer alas, but I'm very happy with my Aphex Headpod 4.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Matthew Seed » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:34 pm

Thanks James. I have to be honest and say it was just my inner snob coming out that made me think the HA400 would be no good. Ya know an £800 interface and £300 pair of headphones........ddin't feel right buying a headphone amp thats £17.50. ha ha.

Ya know, weakest link and all that, but my view isn't based on trying one I have to admit.

Matt
Matthew Seed
Regular

Postby Matthew Seed » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:37 pm

Thanks for that, i don't know the Aphex Headpod 4 but it looks a good device. i will dive a little deeper with that one too. Its about the same price as the Beyer one too.

Thanks
Matt
Matthew Seed
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:01 pm

Matthew Seed wrote:Ya know an £800 interface and £300 pair of headphones........ddin't feel right buying a headphone amp thats £17.50. ha ha.

The HA400 is a handy device to have around but I can understand that the price just seems too cheap. The thing is, headphones aren't hard to drive and a headphone amp doesn't need any fancy electronics. The power supply is probably the most expensive part of a headphone amp - unless it has a fancy case.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page