You are here

Pro 40 Monitor Output

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Pro 40 Monitor Output

Postby pa28 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:34 pm

While messing about with the wiring in my "Studio" I thought it would be better to take the Mon 1+2 outs from the Pro 40 direct to my power amp.

But, no, there is very little volume even with the Mix Control monitor buttons silver so full output. Outputing to any other pair either through the ADA8200 or the Pro 40 gives more than enough grunt to drive the power amp.

Question, do the Mon 1+2 outs on the Pro 40 need a pre-amp before the power amp, I suspect so as this arrangement means I dont need to output to my Soundcraft mixer then to power amp.
pa28
Regular
Capitalisation is the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse  & helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

Re: Pro 40 Monitor Output

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:48 pm

I'm assuming you're talking about a Focusrite Pro 40 interface?

If so, the monitor 1/2 outputs are happy feeding balanced or unbalanced destinations (via suitable cables) and with a peak level of +16dBu which is more than enough for any power amp I know of. It would actually be too much for many!

So after checking that the cables are intact and wired appropriately, I would be investigating the physical monitoring controls on the interface, and the software monitoring controls in the MixControl application, to make sure the signal routing and configurations are appropriate.

The greatest likelihood is a configuration error...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby pa28 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:00 pm

Yes the Saffire Pro 40. have just changed the output cables to balanced and still very low volume,. the Mix Control shows full output.

This "problem" wasn't until i decided to eliminate the mixer from the chain. So will raise a note with Focusrite and continue to use Adat out 7+8 to feed the power amp until an answer/solution.

Have checked all monitioring controls etc and all "A" ok. :evil:
pa28
Regular
Capitalisation is the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse  & helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

Re: Pro 40 Monitor Output (Solved)

Postby pa28 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:30 pm

Another case of "operators error" :headbang: checked manual and realised after using this for a long time I had the "Active Monitor Pad" checked that reduced output -20db to allow for active speakers. :crazy:
pa28
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:46 pm

Glad you found it... that was always the most likely reason, but some of these kinds of settings are easily overlooked.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound