You are here

Attaching legacy Allen & Heath console to laptop / camera to record sound

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Attaching legacy Allen & Heath console to laptop / camera to record sound

Postby nbhamilt » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:48 pm

Hi

We've been live streaming from our office using a Steinberg box (just a guitar) and a couple of microphones during the pandemic and its gone well, but we are going back into our church so the full music group, etc can get together. We havea very nice, but old 32 channel Allen & Heath GL2200 and have got a new laptop and camera to stream everything.

Previously we used the '2 track record and replay' to record services ontoa basic voice recorder which worked fine, but on attatching this cable (with an extension) to the panasonic G7 camera to synch it with the video, it makes a lot of 'noise' in the bcakground - this input on the camera happily takes a microphone by itself (a Rode wireless go).

I then tried attaching it direct to the laptop which has a 'microphone / headset' splitter plugged in, the 'headset' output is attached to a DI box and works fine in sending sound to the sound desk, but nothing comes in at all to the laptop from the desk.

Anyone got any suggestions aregarding attaching a laptop to record the output from an old desk like this? I wondered if our Steinberg UR22 could act as an inbetween and take the 'speaker out' feed from the desk and use USb to supply the PC (although I nknow that will create a small lag from sound and camera

any advice please (bar buying a new desk which is beyond our budget right now)

thanks

Nick
nbhamilt
New here

Re: Attaching legacy Allen & Heath console to laptop / camera to record sound

Postby al_diablo » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:20 pm

I would expect using the outputs from the desk into your audio interface will work very well. I wouldn't worry about the latency, the video processing delay will likely be more than the audio but still shouldn't be much of an issue.

If you wanted to guarantee AV sync you could use OBS to line the 2 up (its free) before streaming, but in my (limited) streaming experience you probably wont see much of an issue, and OBS adds a lot of processing delay to the stream.
al_diablo
Regular

Postby nbhamilt » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:51 pm

We have been using OBS anyway to overlay lyrics for songs and manage multiple inputs from my office, so was planning to continue to do that as it works well to stream both camera and powerpoint slides / videos we use.

so do i connect the 'speaker out' to the Steinburg box? and then connect what was plugged into the sound desk to the outputs on the steinburg to the amp so that there is sound in the church? or do i try and use different outputs from the desk? the desk has 7 main outputs plus additional fold back pair.

thanks for the advice.
nbhamilt
New here

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:14 pm

Welcome! :thumbup:

Your camera and laptop both have mic-level inputs. You're trying to send a much stronger line-level input to them.

There's no reason why you can't use your audio-interface to connect the mixer to the laptop. Just make sure you use the line inputs on the interface.

If you want to connect your mixer direct to the camera than you'll need a DI box. Come back if you need more info on that and how to connect to the camera.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby nbhamilt » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:36 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Welcome! :thumbup:

If you want to connect your mixer direct to the camera than you'll need a DI box. Come back if you need more info on that and how to connect to the camera.

thank you, that makes a lot of sense - i guess the voice recorder input is happy with a line in.

we have several DI boxes kicking about, but I (wrongly I guess) assumed a DI box increased the signal strength not reduced it as i use a DI box to connect the Rode Wireless Go receiver to our portable desk for our outdoor events.

i could cerainly try that route as either way, i'll need to buy a couple of adaptors/cables.

so do i need a specific type DI box, or would a basic one work?
nbhamilt
New here

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:30 am

The Radial ProAV range are quality items and versatile too.

For your application I'd suggest you'd be better with a passive DI so you don't have to worry about batteries or phantom power. You're dealing with simple line outputs too so don't need to be as constrained as you would be if using a guitar which works best with a very high input impedance.

Passive DIs are legion... as always, you get what you pay for...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:18 am

Wouldn't one of those Fentronix boxes that you linked to a few weeks ago also work Mike? I would have thought that something like the 40dB attenuator box would be made for the job.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAA40-Stereo ... SwajRZbGAI

Just add a 3.5mm stereo to 2xTS jack cable (which is probably what you are trying to use already) between the mixer and attenuator box and a 3.5mm stereo to 3.5mm stereo cable between the box and the camera.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby nbhamilt » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:13 am

Thank you for finding that, I saw this too,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AAS40ASC-40d ... 044.m43681

which might be the lower cost option, at least if it doesn't work I haven't blown a fortune on a high end DI box.
nbhamilt
New here

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:43 pm

Sorry for tardy response... Thursday is 'look after 15 month grand-daughter day'! :)

Yup! my first thought was one of the Fenronix gizmos... only reason I didn't suggest was because of 3.5mm stereo input... various tweakeries required to connect to mixer XLR outs.

But yes; I like the Fentronix stuff... well-made, good price, works! :thumbup:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster