You are here

Which blanks for pc audio cd recording??

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Which blanks for pc audio cd recording??

Postby James Perrett » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:15 pm

I used DVDStyler for the last serious DVD project that I did. It is very versatile and gives you plenty of control over how the DVD will look but possibly a little too complex for something quick.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby John Willett » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:54 pm

mikehende wrote:Hey guys, I need to make 3 audio cd's for someone for use on a standalone cd boombox. I need to create the audio cd's on my pc maybe through iTunes or Windows Media Player.

Can anyone link me to or tell me which CD blanks I would need for this please?

I use Taiyo Yuden Watershiels white ones - I think now marketed as JVC. Never had a problem and the surface prints beautifully. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby James Perrett » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:16 pm

John Willett wrote:I use Taiyo Yuden Watershiels white ones - I think now marketed as JVC. Never had a problem and the surface prints beautifully. :thumbup:

Unfortunately they stopped making them around 5 years ago. Stocks of the Watershield discs seemed to be around for longer than most of the other Taiyo Yuden discs but I doubt that there are any genuine ones left now. All the current discs that claim to have Taiyo Yuden technology are made by CMC in Taiwan and apparently aren't up to the same quality.
James Perrett

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:15 am

James Perrett wrote:At 16X the discs are burned at the same linear velocity across the whole disc so, as with the player, the discs will spin faster at the start than at the end. At higher speeds the linear velocity changes from about 16X up to the maximum which means that the burn quality can vary across the disc. The reason is that if you spin the disc too fast the disc will shatter so 16-20X is about as fast as you can safely go at the start of the disc. At these high burn speeds the spin speed is kept the same all the way through the burn (also known as Constant Angular Velocity or CAV).

Thanks for that James - I'm still burning at 8x from Wavelab, but will now upgrade that to 16x based on your advice.

I'm also about to order some more white face CD-Rs, so will try Verbatim Azo dye ones.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby James Perrett » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:53 am

Martin Walker wrote:
Thanks for that James - I'm still burning at 8x from Wavelab, but will now upgrade that to 16x based on your advice.

I'm also about to order some more white face CD-Rs, so will try Verbatim Azo dye ones.

Hi Martin - 8X is probably fine as that will burn at constant linear velocity too. Some burners may work better at 8X while others are slightly better at 16X but I wouldn't go faster than 16X for anything serious.

Those Azo discs looked interesting because, as far as I know, only genuine Verbatim discs used that type of dye and I hadn't realised that they were still available. The standard Verbatim discs are the same as any other cheap disc but the Azo ones were definitely better when I last checked (which admittedly was a long time ago).
James Perrett

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:30 am

Mike Stranks wrote:Some of us are very happy with the CD-Rs we get from this supplier: https://www.cvbmedia.co.uk/

I started a thread on this same topic some years back and as a result bought from these people. I've been happy with the disks ever since.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:10 pm

James Perrett wrote:Those Azo discs looked interesting because, as far as I know, only genuine Verbatim discs used that type of dye and I hadn't realised that they were still available. The standard Verbatim discs are the same as any other cheap disc but the Azo ones were definitely better when I last checked (which admittedly was a long time ago).

I'm now a little confused, since when I did a search for Azo dye on that website, only one appeared (Verbatim 43438 Full Face Inkjet Printable 52x CD-R 50 Tub):

https://www.cvbmedia.co.uk/printable-cd ... o-id-.html

However, if you look through the other CD-R options, this one appears with a conspicuous 'AZO CD-R' on its packaging (Verbatim 43343 Azo CD-R80 52x 50 Pack Spindle), but is considerably cheaper:

https://www.cvbmedia.co.uk/branded-cd-r ... indle.html

Which to go for? ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby James Perrett » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:53 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Which to go for? ;)

The second one is out of stock at all the reputable distributors that I looked at.
James Perrett

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:38 am

I suspect that confirms that it's the one to stock up on - thanks for that clarification James!

Martin
Martin Walker

Previous