You are here

Why I am Boycotting Plugin Alliance Marketing

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Why I am Boycotting Plugin Alliance Marketing

Postby dbfs » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:30 am

Most recent email, Buy any plugin for 29.99.
Then in the small print it excludes a list of plugins.

That is dishonest and really annoying.

I have decided to cancel emails from them will now boycott them. Bye bye Dirk and Co.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Re: Why I am Boycotting Plugin Alliance Marketing

Postby Kwackman » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:12 am

I get these emails too.
You are correct, there are 8 plug-ins (and the "all plug-ins" subscription package) excluded from this offer.
But, I think it's a bit unfair to say the warning about these exclusions in the small print.
If someone wanted to use this offer they would scroll down a little to get the code they need, the warning is in the same "box" in plain view.

What you DO need to scroll (much) further down to see is that the price $29.99 is VAT exclusive. That IS in the smallest print in the email!

Over the past year or so I've had several, what I would consider, absolute bargains from PA from these emails. For the good of my credit card I try not to look too often!
$29.99 +VAT is a good price for many of the items on offer.
PA also seem to reward previous purchasers, I sometimes get "private" codes because I bought a plug-in (usually at the full price) previously.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.

Postby dbfs » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:27 pm

Yes
I have bought quite a bit from them and do like some of the plugins. I even subscribed to one of the yearly bundles.

Anyway I just got an email back from the chief over there regarding my issue with their marketing.

He said only!

"Well, I guess we can't please everybody.
Thanks."

It is a pity to see such arrogance from a man that represents several brands that are trying to make a few quid out of the whole thing.

I guess that's me finished buying from them and as ever, I will cease to comment further on suppliers that I no longer support.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Postby desmond » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:53 pm

To be fair, it's fairly standard on these "hefty" discount sales to not include recently released products, or even products that have license agreements with third-parties.

As it is, if you were interested in, say, their bx_console SSL E or G plugins, to buy one individually would cost about $430 (definitely way overpriced imo), so to pick one of those up at about $35 is pretty good, and that's generally the business model for these kinds of aggregators that have lots of plugin products - have generally high prices, but regularly offer too-good-to-be-true sales to convince people to keep buying more stuff.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby CS70 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:37 pm

dbfs wrote:"Well, I guess we can't please everybody.
Thanks."

It is a pity to see such arrogance

Why arrogance? He's simply disagreeing with you.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:45 pm

I've bought around 30 plug-ins from Plugin Alliance over the years, and very good most of them are too. However, I've not bought one at its 'normal' price. Each and every one has appeared in the PA everlasting sale, that to me seems based on a 'whack-a-mole' philosophy - basically if you fancy a plug-in from them you just wait until it pops up at sale price.

To my mind this approach makes the 'full price' of all of their plug-ins seem ridiculously high, especially when some of the most talented of the software developers who have created for PA release their own product range at much more modest prices (I'm thinking of the most excellent Fuse Audio Labs in particular here).

I was initially sucked in by the chance to buy PA stuff at 'bargain' prices, but nowadays all their emails get fairly quickly deleted. They don't particularly annoy me, and I wouldn't boycott the company, but to me their marketing approach is at the very least in questionable taste.

However, IMO many of the products in their stable are superb, and deserve more professional marketing.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ian Shaw » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:56 pm

Martin Walker wrote:I've bought around 30 plug-ins from Plugin Alliance over the years, and very good most of them are too. However, I've not bought one at its 'normal' price. Each and every one has appeared in the PA everlasting sale, that to me seems based on a 'whack-a-mole' philosophy - basically if you fancy a plug-in from them you just wait until it pops up at sale price.

To my mind this approach makes the 'full price' of all of their plug-ins seem ridiculously high, especially when some of the most talented of the software developers who have created for PA release their own product range at much more modest prices (I'm thinking of the most excellent Fuse Audio Labs in particular here).

I was initially sucked in by the chance to buy PA stuff at 'bargain' prices, but nowadays all their emails get fairly quickly deleted. They don't particularly annoy me, and I wouldn't boycott the company, but to me their marketing approach is at the very least in questionable taste.

However, IMO many of the products in their stable are superb, and deserve more professional marketing.

Martin

I guess they are trying to compete with Waves, who started this whole business. Many companies are now offering rolling discounts on stuff. It does get quite tedious. Waves stuff is permanently on sale @ $29 it would seem. If not, wait a week or 2 and it will be.

Ian
Ian Shaw
Regular
Sent by carrier pigeon

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:39 pm

I am reminded of a Ronnie Corbett line:

"I remember the day well, the reason being it was the only day Allied Carpets didn't have a sale."
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:51 am

I also get those emails and I tend to just ignore them unless there is something that specifically interests me. I can sort of understand that you don't like them, but I tend to be fairly laid back about these offers as I know that there are always going to be exceptions, taxes, etc

I have had a couple of bargains, but mostly they get ignored.

But then, I'm a special case as I very rarely buy plugins. A couple of years ago, I decided that I had most of everything that I need so why clutter your system with a load of plugins? I got tired of keeping track of which needed updating ..

;)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Kwackman » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:56 am

Dave B wrote: A couple of years ago, I decided that I had most of everything that I need so why clutter your system with a load of plugins?

That is very sensible and logical and I totally agree. We don't need more plug-ins.
Then there's that other voice in my head.... :headbang:
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Dave B » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:07 pm

Yeah .. and the very next thing that happens is $20 for the SSL XSaturator ... (sigh) ... I'm such a sucker...

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby desmond » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:26 pm

Dave B wrote:Yeah .. and the very next thing that happens is $20 for the SSL XSaturator ... (sigh) ... I'm such a sucker...

I just got that mail too. Looks nice but probably not really anything I can't already do with existing tools...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby MOF » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:33 pm

This post is probably from someone who works for PA, it’s got us all talking about their products. :lol:
I own several of their plugins. I thought the OP’s mention of ‘small print’ wasn’t really that big a deal (only a few lines down from the offer price and not very small text). UAD have something similar on their Ultimate package excluding third party plugins.
MOF
Frequent Poster