You are here

Pro Tools buffer size and round trip latency

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Pro Tools buffer size and round trip latency

Postby cashhewn » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:37 pm

@DC_CHoppah @SamInglis (not sure if I'm tagging your usernames correctly...)

Finally back in the old beloved studio and have had some success:

The very first thing I tried after making sure all my clock source settings were correct was to uncheck "Ignore Errors During Playback/Record" in "Setup->Playback Engine". That immediately improved the latency, but too much of an "improvement": the recorded click audio was now coming in about 53 samples EARLY. Then, trying what the person at AVID said about input track delay compensation, I entered a value of -53 samples on the record armed track and then the newly recorded version of the output click audio lined up within 3 samples on the timeline.

As an aside, I have discovered that I'm able to record at the lowest sample rate of 32 (I had never tried that before).

There are still some peculiar things going on regarding changing the sample rate and testing this, but I don't want to get into these things now, as I think the bottom line is I have found a solution. That said, I suppose now I have to remember to input a user input delay compensation value into every newly created track or create a template where I already have a bunch of blank tracks sitting there with the input delay compensation user value already entered into the track.

Thanks for your help!! This should make overdubbing a lot less tedious...
cashhewn
Poster

Postby manwilde » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:01 pm

Don´t know Protools, but wouldn´t make more sense to just delay the click +53 samples, or maybe that would set all subsequent recordings off the grid?
manwilde
Regular

Postby cashhewn » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:36 pm

@manwilde I don’t know what’s easier at this point, but I think you’re right that something has to be offset somewhere. I believe this newfound solution of using the input track delay feature in Pro Tools will work for me. I also found a plug-in from Voxengo called Latency Compensator that I haven’t tried yet that might also work to fix this problem. Usually I’m not working from a grid, and the “click” here for this test is just stand in audio with a clear transient representing what would normally be a live instrument not played to a click. The problem has been that any new audio overdubbed while monitoring an existing track comes in late compared to the existing track, even though it sounds in time while being monitored and recorded.

Thanks for your help.
cashhewn
Poster

Previous