You are here

SM58 but better

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: SM58 but better

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:00 pm

I'm guessing you budget is tight (we've all been there) so it's just a matter of how long you can keep on looking until you find a deal. It maybe worth looking at different mics (though the AT 2020 is definitely a bargain), try to find a shortlist and remember if you buy cheap enough you'll be able to sell again for close to the same price if you find it doesn't suit you.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13888
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: SM58 but better

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:16 am

It's probably a bit early for European sites to be advertising Black Friday yet...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7647
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:00 am

Re: SM58 but better

Postby CS70 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:15 pm

dfira wrote:I have looked at both sites, but can't find any information about black Friday. Would you mind getting me a direct link please? Thanks!

For example,

https://www.gear4music.com/black-friday
https://www.sweetwater.com/sale/early-black-friday-2020
https://www.proaudioeurope.com/info/fun ... iday-deals
User avatar
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6471
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:00 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: SM58 but better

Postby bill555 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:59 am

For voiceovers you probably want a dynamic mic as you originally were leaning to. I would suggest the Sennheiser 835 or isK ICDM. The Senn is the same cost as the 58 but IMO not as boxy, a great mic, the isK perhaps even better and only $60 (I think you can still get the promo price of half off too, which is absurdly inexpensive for a good mic).

I have not used the 2020 for voice, but have for vocals and wasn't wowed. It's not bad, but IMO you can do better (and I'll take a good dynamic mic, new no less, over a used lower-end LDC every day).
bill555
Regular
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:00 am

Re: SM58 but better

Postby ef37a » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:30 am

https://polar.uk.com/mackie-em-91c-larg ... 2051596-00

Paul White gave the above a good rep lately. I have just sent one to my son and his first tests are very favourable.

Polar are also VERY good people to deal with.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12259
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: SM58 but better

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:47 am

Firstly, the SM58 is not "trusty" it’s awful IMO.
A bit of a rash statement, seeing as it is so popular, but for what reason I do not know, I worked for a guy who did PA for small bands, he had SM59's, and Beyer M88's, he refused point blank to have anything to do with 58’s.
They are very annoying to listen to, peaky, harsh, hard, yes, you can EQ them to hell, but why bother? They are always held up as some sort of achievement if all else has failed.
I have two of them, despite what I’ve said, as they always come in handy when "all else has failed" :)
If you’re doing voice over work, I think an LDC of some sort would be fine, not a dynamic, the proximity effect can be very handy sometimes, when you want to give things an intimate feel, or as an effect, to create an atmosphere.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5761
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: SM58 but better

Postby ef37a » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:53 am

Arpangel wrote:Firstly, the SM58 is not "trusty" it’s awful IMO.
A bit of a rash statement, seeing as it is so popular, but for what reason I do not know, I worked for a guy who did PA for small bands, he had SM59's, and Beyer M88's, he refused point blank to have anything to do with 58’s.
They are very annoying to listen to, peaky, harsh, hard, yes, you can EQ them to hell, but why bother? They are always held up as some sort of achievement if all else has failed, but no, it’s you that's failed.
I have two of them, despite what I’ve said, as they always come in handy when "all else has failed" :)
And if you’re doing voice over work, I think an LDC of some sort would be fine, not a dynamic, the proximity effect can be very handy sometimes, when you want to give things an intimate feel, or as an effect, to create an atmosphere.

I tend to agree ^. The 57/58 tends to get hyped in American forums but even there the more experienced bods prefer the SM7b or the EV.

Contrary sod that he is, my son LIKES the sound of a 57 on classical guitar but cannot get is far enough away and a good noise ratio. I am considering a FetHead for him?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12259
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: SM58 but better

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:14 am

ef37a wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Firstly, the SM58 is not "trusty" it’s awful IMO.
A bit of a rash statement, seeing as it is so popular, but for what reason I do not know, I worked for a guy who did PA for small bands, he had SM59's, and Beyer M88's, he refused point blank to have anything to do with 58’s.
They are very annoying to listen to, peaky, harsh, hard, yes, you can EQ them to hell, but why bother? They are always held up as some sort of achievement if all else has failed, but no, it’s you that's failed.
I have two of them, despite what I’ve said, as they always come in handy when "all else has failed" :)
And if you’re doing voice over work, I think an LDC of some sort would be fine, not a dynamic, the proximity effect can be very handy sometimes, when you want to give things an intimate feel, or as an effect, to create an atmosphere.

I tend to agree ^. The 57/58 tends to get hyped in American forums but even there the more experienced bods prefer the SM7b or the EV.

Contrary sod that he is, my son LIKES the sound of a 57 on classical guitar but cannot get is far enough away and a good noise ratio. I am considering a FetHead for him?

Dave.

Dave, yes, the 57 is more polite to my ears, less harsh, at least, so I can sympathise with your sons choice there.
Ah! That’s where you need a Mike Skeet preamp! humongous gain with negligible noise!
Spoken word mic's? The Electrovoice RE20 and it's imitators are often preferred, but I can remember sitting in on a session at a local rock radio station, with Tommy Vance, he had his own mic, a Neumann U47, that was a surprise, it sounded great though, especially with that gravelly voice.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5761
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: SM58 but better

Postby ef37a » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:46 pm

Skeet pre amp? You said you had some you could not get working?
Send one over and I might be able to fix it up for son!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12259
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: SM58 but better

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:09 pm

Arpangel wrote:
ef37a wrote:I tend to agree ^. The 57/58 tends to get hyped in American forums but even there the more experienced bods prefer the SM7b or the EV.

Contrary sod that he is, my son LIKES the sound of a 57 on classical guitar but cannot get is far enough away and a good noise ratio. I am considering a FetHead for him?

Dave.

Dave, yes, the 57 is more polite to my ears, less harsh, at least, so I can sympathise with your sons choice there.

The SM 57 is popular amongst Bluegrass guitar players, bothe live and, sometimes, in the studio. But they are pretty loud for an acoustic instrument.

FWIW the '57 uses the same capsule as the '58 the only difference in sound is due to the basket, the 57 basket allows you a little closer to the diaphragm and shifts the presence peak slightly, the peak is about 5kHz on a '58 and around 6.5kHz on a '57. Take the basket of a '58 and it'll sound almost exactly the same as a '57.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13888
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: SM58 but better

Postby ore_terra » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:21 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:The SM 57 is popular amongst Bluegrass guitar players, bothe live and, sometimes, in the studio. But they are pretty loud for an acoustic instrument.
In Nashville TV series is what you see more often in their “live” performances. I don’t know how much of a reference that is :lol:
User avatar
ore_terra
Frequent Poster
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:56 pm
Location: Seville - Spain

Re: SM58 but better

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:23 pm

Arpangel wrote:Firstly, the SM58 is not "trusty" it’s awful IMO....I have two of them, ... as they always come in handy when "all else has failed" :)

You are, as ever, a walking contradiction! :lol: :lolno: :crazy:
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 29002
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: SM58 but better

Postby James Perrett » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:43 pm

Seeing as this thread has veered off at a tangent...

If you want a better SM58 then the only other alternative would be a U87. The SM58 may not be the best mic for the job but it is never the worst - and there are very few mics that you can say that about. Just about every other mic will let you down at some point or another.

While the U87 would rarely be used as a live mic, in the studio it seems more versatile than just about anything else and usually gives 'that' sound - it sounds like a record should (probably because we've heard it so often without realising).
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 9903
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: SM58 but better

Postby CS70 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:08 pm

James Perrett wrote:The SM58 may not be the best mic for the job but it is never the worst - and there are very few mics that you can say that about.

Amen!
User avatar
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6471
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:00 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: SM58 but better

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:43 pm

ef37a wrote:Skeet pre amp? You said you had some you could not get working?
Send one over and I might be able to fix it up for son!

Dave.

Dave, if you visit Mikes obituary here at SOS, you’ll see two boxes featured in the article, one is a live surround panner, and the other is a complex 8.1 surround plus height mixer, preamp "thing"!!! That has eight of his mic amps built into it, I just need to figure out how to acces them, I suppose you could extract the circuits, but I couldn’t do that, as these are reminders of Mike.
He always made his circuits on bread board, I could take one out and try and figure it out, or, if we ever meet up Dave, you could have a go yourself!

:thumbup:
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5761
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

PreviousNext