You are here

Bass amps

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Bass amps

Postby w oxo cube » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:46 pm

Personally I recently borrowed a one of the newish Rupert Neve DI boxes and it was probably the best bass sound I've recorded. Just taken straight out into of the DI into my RMEFF400 input.
w oxo cube
Poster

Re: Bass amps

Postby dpete » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:07 pm

The room, the placement of the cabinet in the room, the volume level, etc all will impact the value of a cabinet recording. DI's are quick and pretty reliable. As a bass player, the value of the amp is in setting up what I hear and feel, which of course impacts my performance. My experience is that the bass in most head phones is lame, and the monitor mix in the phones generally favors other instruments. For those of us who are not studio pro's and experienced with overcoming this, having an amp and the ability to adjust my mix by physically moving, helps. I've stopped worrying too much about the details of the recorded sound. It seems like if there aren't problems with the sound, most mixes are going to get "close enough" quickly and move on to the money sounds.
dpete
Poster

Previous