You are here

the problem with a good mic is a bad room...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: the problem with a good mic is a bad room...

Postby dfira » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:17 pm

I'm open to headsets for sure. As long as I don't sound like a sports broadcaster. Any recommendations?
dfira
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:46 pm

Or a lavalier?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:18 pm

If headsets are fine, in many work conferences I use a gaming headset-with-mic I bought for some 50 quid and it works perfectly - as the mic is really close. You do look like an oversized balloon with them on, however :)

For something more discreet, anything here will work

Code: Select all
https://www.gear4music.com/Microphones/Dynamic_Vocal.html?page=1&filters[42]=2224

(I have zero affiliation, of course)

(edit: you have to select and copy the entire URL manually as the forum does not link it right).

For the best looks, the most invisible are the thin omnis - I've used them many times when presenting stuff on stage and they work fine there. Even if they're picking up slightly more ambience than the others, the great S/N ratio due to them being so near your mouth makes that quite irrelevant (so long you don't have a truck outside your window).

The only minus is that they are fiddly and very light, so prone to change position at the wrong moment. In time I've come to appreciate stability - hence the gaming headset.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby zenguitar » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:49 pm

I had a few attempts to edit the URL to display in full, but restored it to your version using the code tags as that displayed the link clearly.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby CS70 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:00 pm

zenguitar wrote:I had a few attempts to edit the URL to display in full, but restored it to your version using the code tags as that displayed the link clearly.

Andy :beamup:

Yeah I think it's the square brackets which trip the site code.

I guess I could try to url-encode it and see if the site translates it better, but it's easy enough to select it like it is.

Thanks anyway for trying, much obliged as always :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby dfira » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:26 pm

Yah i dunno, I've had a listen to some of these headsets and they all sound nasty. Pop is often a problem, and they don't look great either tbh, and lavalier should have the same ambience problems (perhaps even worse) than a LDC at the same distance.

So I'm still inclined to go with the super cardioid LDC with some strategic placement and treatment. I'll set it all up just before Christmas, so ill upload some samples then for anyone that may be curious.

Cheers all!
dfira
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:07 am

I'm thinking of something like this https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_headmike_o_shure_b_stock.htm They usually come ready to plug into a radio pack so you'd need an adapter which would convert to 'plug in power'. I used similar budget headworn mics with Sennheiser radio packs (19 channels of them) when I was doing sound for a (very good) amateur production of Sweeny Todd a few years ago. They sounded very good for musical theatre and, looks wise, I'd certainly be happy to use them on camera myself.

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby al_diablo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:55 pm

dfira wrote:Yah i dunno, I've had a listen to some of these headsets and they all sound nasty. Pop is often a problem, and they don't look great either tbh, and lavalier should have the same ambience problems (perhaps even worse) than a LDC at the same distance.

So I'm still inclined to go with the super cardioid LDC with some strategic placement and treatment. I'll set it all up just before Christmas, so ill upload some samples then for anyone that may be curious.

Cheers all!

I have had success with an AKG C417PP lavalier in several completely untreated rooms.

If you place it appropriately there is very little room noise, and it is quite unobtrusive so you can clip it nice and close to your mouth.
al_diablo
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:11 pm

dfira wrote:I think you're missing something.... i have a budget and other constraints way below that... I'll never treat my room to the standard where ambience is eliminated, and i just don't want to keep the mic close.

That's fine... provided you also accept a lower quality level in the recording.

However, hanging up a few duvets on tall stands behind and around the sides of your recording position costs next to nothing and makes far more improvement than choosing different mics or mic polar patterns.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby dfira » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:37 am

You are right. It took us a while, but i have finally settled on a compromise between everyone's comments :) i think im gonna start a duvet recommendations thread! (joke)
dfira
Poster

Previous