You are here

PC Monitor for decent video resolution - HDMI?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: PC Monitor for decent video resolution - HDMI?

Postby CS70 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:18 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Further update....

I've spent some time this afternoon playing video and doing further tweaking of the various monitor controls, of which there are many!

I've now got video 'resolution' - using the word in an imprecise and non-technical way - to be much much better.... my search for a 'better' monitor is now in abeyance. :D

Cool to hear!

Remember also the monitors tend to "drift", so every few months it's worth doing another little tweak round to see if there's something that can be improved again.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:40 pm

:thumbup: :D
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Tim Gillett » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:20 pm

CS70 wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:Further update....

I've spent some time this afternoon playing video and doing further tweaking of the various monitor controls, of which there are many!

I've now got video 'resolution' - using the word in an imprecise and non-technical way - to be much much better.... my search for a 'better' monitor is now in abeyance. :D

Cool to hear!

Remember also the monitors tend to "drift", so every few months it's worth doing another little tweak round to see if there's something that can be improved again.
Drift? In what parameter(s) and to what degree? What would cause that?
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:07 pm

Tim Gillett wrote:Drift? In what parameter(s) and to what degree? What would cause that?

A good question - to which I cannot really answer with much authority, as I am no expert.

I would guess it's like with any machinery: it depends on both the specific technology used, the characteristics of the components used, the operating environment and its changes (termal effects, for example) and how much the technology and design can/has accounted for all these factors in the cost range. An example is the backlighting tech or the time and thermal stability of the dye used for LCD displays. Or clocks. All clocks drift, some more than others.

So there are displays that are extremely stable and don't change or change minimally over time, and some that change relatively quickly. On a single display, it may be hard to spot because of the lack of references, but if you have two or three near each other (like I've had for basically the last two decades), it can be pretty evident. One of the reasons I recently went to the 49" ultra-wide :)

In general, color is hard if one wants precision - one of the reasons for which reference monitors are insanely expensive, I guess.

You find a bunch of stuff if you google something like "display calibration drifting" or similar.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:33 pm

Agharta raised some good points that got me thinking somewhat broader...

The reality is that what I'm producing each week all ends up on YouTube and is viewed mainly on phones and tablets. Thus, while I want to ensure a level of quality control and don't want to churn out technically sub-standard dross, I need to be realistic.

They key thing is that I know both of my cameras are producing good stuff so for the level of edit viewing I need, my existing monitor is sufficient.

Any moans I receive are about content not quality. :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Previous