You are here

ASMR Editing?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

ASMR Editing?

Postby james090 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:36 pm

I'd just like some info on editing and clean up ASMR recordings, as I have been asked to touch up and edit some recordings by someoneBy nature these are very softly spoken, and stereo/pan left and right at times.

Its probably not too dissimilar to voice-over recording

What i'd like to do, is clean up any background sounds, maybe EQ the softly spoken voice, maybe some light compression, take out any noise floor from the room its recorded in, and any gating if necessary?

Does anyone here edit or record ASMR?

If it helps, I use Reaper, and Twisted Wave Audio Editor for Mac. I could use either of these, or a combination (DAW + Linked Editor) using these 2 programs.

I know Reaper has the ReaFir plug in which may help (or do all of the above?!) if i am on the right track?

I'm then hoping to save some presets to give me a ballpark on editing future ASMR, with regards to Noise floor elimination, EQ, Compression etc.

Thanks for any help.
james090
Regular

Re: ASMR Editing?

Postby blinddrew » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:40 pm

ReaFIR can definitely be used to clean up constant background noise (air-con etc). It hugely helps if you've got a decent length (10 secs say) of nothing-but-background to work from though.
If you haven't got that, then see if Izotope's RX elements is on sale (frequently comes round at $29) as the voice denoiser on that has an active mode that can be frighteningly effective.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: ASMR Editing?

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:48 pm

And for the future have you looked into how they are recording their VO? Getting the source as good as possible will both make your job easier in future and improve the overall quality of the recordings. If these are audio only then close miking will be the answer, if for video then it's worth seeing if a headset mic or similar could be acceptable.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........