You are here

struggling to guage what sounds better than the focusrite scarlett at the same price point.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: struggling to guage what sounds better than the focusrite scarlett at the same price point.

Postby CS70 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:25 am

dfira wrote:But CS70, man, I know you mean well, but you have to be careful with the outright lies, Hiding the truth from anyone doesn't actually protect them from it.

Haha, no lies! I very much stand by what I said - the point being that while there are differences blahblahblah , no mic has a polar pattern that will block out some of the room ambience to make things significantly better for an untreated room, if you don't work the mic close. "want less ambience" = "treat your room (even temporarily)" as opposite to "buy an hypercardioid mic or whatever"

Trying to save you money here! :D

If I did not understand your question and you know already everything about ambience, I will happily stand corrected - I very much mean well :)

As for the interface, I totally agree with Sam - go with your heart. Being inspired is way more important than much else,
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: struggling to guage what sounds better than the focusrite scarlett at the same price point.

Postby Watchmaker » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:27 am

The "Air" functionality is an eq bump but I can't find the specs for it anymore. I can't remember if the input impedance changes too but I haven't noticed any changes in sensitivity when pushing the air button so I think not. It's meant to emulate the sound of the analog "transfomer-based" ISA pres, so essentially you can select between two distinct characters from one pre amp.

I have a Clarett 8PreX and I like the way air on acoustic instruments can make them feel more intimate. It works well on some vox and not others and sounds like sh** on drums :-)

Not a gimmick imo. I like anything that gives me options and both transparent and slightly colored pres have their uses.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:39 am

Changing your microphone or monitors will make a bigger difference than changing this interface, it’s pointless worrying about "quality" at this price point. I’ve used Behringers, Focusrites, Motu's, all of them have been fine, and there were no glaring differences that made me think one was the end of the world.
And ones mans lack of detail and focus at the high end, may be another’s nice and smooth.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:03 am

Arpangel wrote:And ones person's lack of detail and focus at the high end, may be another’s nice and smooth.

Ain't that the truth?
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:05 am

The Elf wrote:I would say is to put the 'audio quality' idea side for a moment and see what other requirements you have. You may find that that helps you choose wisely.

:thumbup:

This might be worth a look...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih5RuZHCfto
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Rockrooms » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:59 am

Watchmaker wrote:The "Air" functionality is an eq bump but I can't find the specs for it anymore. I can't remember if the input impedance changes too but I haven't noticed any changes in sensitivity when pushing the air button so I think not. It's meant to emulate the sound of the analog "transfomer-based" ISA pres, so essentially you can select between two distinct characters from one pre amp.

As you say, Air is an eq bump, that is an emulation of the ISA pre transformer, but doesn't use a transformer, it doesn't change the input impedance (unlike the Clarett). There is a gentle sloping boost, around 2dB at 1K, 3dB at 4K and 4dB at 8K.

Having spent a weekend recording some piano, the audio interface was absolutely the last item in the audio quality list, most interfaces these days are technically really good.

Joe
Rockrooms
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:24 pm

Rockrooms wrote:Having spent a weekend recording some piano, the audio interface was absolutely the last item in the audio quality list, most interfaces these days are technically really good.

Joe

That’s all that really needs to be said.

:-|
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:53 am

The other thing about the smaller, more basic Scarletts is that the instrument input is decidedly weedy and can overload very easily. There are a number of threads discussing this. It may be that this has been sorted in recent versions (anyone?) but worth bearing in mind if you want to use DI guitar or bass. I too have the 18i20 and it's a fantastic bit of kit. Plus the Focusrite support team are second to none for helpfulness and accessibility.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby CS70 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:06 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:The other thing about the smaller, more basic Scarletts is that the instrument input is decidedly weedy and can overload very easily. There are a number of threads discussing this. It may be that this has been sorted in recent versions (anyone?)

I think it has.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:59 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:The other thing about the smaller, more basic Scarletts is that the instrument input is decidedly weedy and can overload very easily.

That was certainly an issue with the first gen designs in which, if I remember correctly, the instrument input clipped around +3dBu. The current versions can take something like +12.5dBu or more on the instrument inputs which has cured the issue with hot guitar pickups.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Previous