You are here

Headphones and monitor recommendations

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Headphones and monitor recommendations

Postby ef37a » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:32 pm

Good points Sam, in fact if Cubase is not set in stone it is worth delaying any kind of spend on a DAW for a few months. Most of the majors are available as a 30 day trial download so 'play the field' for a time?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby punkyfish » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:35 am

Hi Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Getting Cubase Pro 11 Education, he has used it before many years ago!
punkyfish
Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:11 am

Sam Spoons wrote:(and you can save at least £25 buy buying him a Reaper licence for £60 if Cubase is not an absolute requirement)

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:55 am

Can't ague with Reaper for value, but if he's used to Cubase it's still the best DAW out there IMO, and well worth its money.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:12 am

The Elf wrote:Can't ague with Reaper for value, but if he's used to Cubase it's still the best DAW out there IMO, and well worth its money.

Yes, I’ve got CB on my i Pad, it’s very seductive, may even tempt me over, but I’d never forsake Reaper.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:56 pm

If he used Cubase 'years ago' I suspect the learning curve will be nearly as steep as starting from scratch with a new DAW (it was when I had to choose again after 8 years recording purely in hardware and the difference in cost between Reaper and Cubase (currently £60/£499) was more than enough to sway me).

But if Cubase is what he wants then go for it.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:21 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:If he used Cubase 'years ago' I suspect the learning curve will be nearly as steep as starting from scratch with a new DAW (it was when I had to choose again after 8 years recording purely in hardware and the difference in cost between Reaper and Cubase (currently £60/£499) was more than enough to sway me).

But if Cubase is what he wants then go for it.

And, do we know the power of the computer involved? Cubase was always resource hungry and if OP is a bit 'cash light' atmo might be running an old machine and C11 could be a no no?
Reaper is well known for its CPU efficiency.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Previous