You are here

Klark Teknik EQP-KT

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Klark Teknik EQP-KT

Postby jimh76 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:12 pm

Hi,

So I got my eqp-kt yesterday and gave it a quick go for about 10 mins.

It sounded good, but as it's tube, I just wanted to check do I need to let the tubes warm up first before using, and if so for how long?

And what does warming up entail? Is it just "on", or should I be sending signal through it for a set period?

Also, I've heard that changing the tubes (think they're Bugera 12ax7 and 12 au7) is a good idea, so any thoughts on some recommendations. I'd be looking about £15-20 max per tube.

Thanks in advance,

Jim.
jimh76
Regular

Re: Klark Teknik EQP-KT

Postby CS70 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:20 pm

Good question. I usually turn it on before setting up the microphones or the session, so it stays up for a while before it sees any signal. But cant say I've done it on purpose.

As for swapping the tubes, there was a thread here a few months back about someone using a couple EQPs as a stereo pair, and what he found was that the tubes were mismatched - one worked fine, the other was significantly worse.

So it seems that you may have a perfectly fine tube, and gain nothing from a swap, or a not so good one and get a much better sounding unit.

Does it sound bad or too noisy? So long you like what it does, shouldn't be any need of changing anything...
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:40 pm

Valve gear is normally full operational with all voltages and currents at their normal working levels after a few minutes -- 5-10 is usually enough. 20 minutes is definitely enough!

Modern valve quality is a bit variable, so there will definitely be differences if you swap the double triode valves for other brands. Whether those differences are for better or worse is purely subjective... and largely unpredictable.

However, I'd suggest spending some time getting used to the unit as supplied first. If you identify any problems that you think might relate to the existing valves, then by all means swap them out... But it might just as easily be perfectly acceptable as it is with the supplied tubes.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Fishnish » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:45 pm

CS70 wrote:Good question. I usually turn it on before setting up the microphones or the session, so it stays up for a while before it sees any signal. But cant say I've done it on purpose.

As for swapping the tubes, there was a thread here a few months back about someone using a couple EQPs as a stereo pair, and what he found was that the tubes were mismatched - one worked fine, the other was significantly worse.

So it seems that you may have a perfectly fine tube, and gain nothing from a swap, or a not so good one and get a much better sounding unit.

Does it sound bad or too noisy? So long you like what it does, shouldn't be any need of changing anything...

I've had a pair of these for about a year. I usually let them warm up for about ten minutes or so before putting them into use. No issues.

At the time I was curious as to how well matched they'd be. When I was doing my research before buying, some folk had reported significant mismatches between units, others not so much. Happily the pair that arrived seem to be pretty evenly matched, although to be fair I don't actually use them as a stereo pair that often. I thought I'd get myself used to the units with the stock tubes first and then decide about swapping them out. We're over a year in now, and I haven't yet felt the need to swap.
Fishnish
Regular

Postby jimh76 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:16 pm

Cheers peeps.

That's very helpful.

I just read a review that said that they changed the tubes and it went from "meh" to "wow", which I thought was interesting.

I can understand if they said it went from "sound 1" to "sound 2", but from "meh" to "wow" is very definitive.

Thanks,

Jim.
jimh76
Regular

Postby CS70 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:22 pm

Well as these things go, your "meh" could be their "wow" and vice versa :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:36 pm

jimh76 wrote:I just read a review that said that they changed the tubes and it went from "meh" to "wow", which I thought was interesting.

That's AWESOME! :bouncy:

...and probably also utter bollarks.... :ugeek:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:02 pm

jimh76 wrote:I just read a review that said that they changed the tubes and it went from "meh" to "wow", which I thought was interesting.
Wizard's First Rule... ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.