You are here

Sight on Sound

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Sight on Sound

Postby CS70 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:30 pm

jimh76 wrote:Is this normal? Does anyone do this.?

I bought my acoustic guitar mainly of what it looked like (Epiphone Hummingbird Pro) thinking it's an Epiphone so probably sounds good. Don't get me wrong, I tried it out in the shop, and it did sound good to my ears, but I didn't try any other guitars that day as they didn't look cool like the Hummingbird.

Absolutely. Inspiration is critical and whatever gets it to you is great.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Agharta » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:53 pm

Disco Ball Dystopia sounds like an album title by LCD Sound System but it might still be available!
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby The Bunk » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:12 pm

jimh76 wrote:
Is this normal? Does anyone do this.?

I bought my acoustic guitar mainly of what it looked like (Epiphone Hummingbird Pro) thinking it's an Epiphone so probably sounds good. Don't get me wrong, I tried it out in the shop, and it did sound good to my ears, but I didn't try any other guitars that day as they didn't look cool like the Hummingbird.

Actually that's pretty much why I want a resonator.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:27 pm

Arpangel wrote:
The Bunk wrote:It now comes out and is strategically placed for Zoom meetings :bouncy:

:)

If I took part in a Zoom meeting you’d all go crazy, if you saw my studio.
There’s me going on about aesthetics, well, think of it as "cave man chique" I’m in a basement, with rough hewn Victorian stone walls, that drip with water, there’s no ceiling, just joists with pipes and wires hanging down, there is a window, nut no view, it looks out onto a soak-away.
Among my studio stuff are fridges, a tumble dryer, clothes racks, and hoovers, there is no carpet, just a stone floor that floods in periods of high water table.
But I do have a disco ball hanging from the joists, in a token effort to provide a bit of glamour.

If being in there making music (or even just faffing around and looking at the gear which I do a lot) increases your net happiness then it's all good :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MOF » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:16 pm

Among my studio stuff are fridges

I hope you don’t need to record anything with a microphone, many a perfect take ruined by the compressor switching on.

I did go to an invited event in Nottingham where Bob Clearmountain was promoting his (Apogee) latest audio interface, which had a really lovely metallic purple heatsink and other details as well as the brushed aluminium casing. I told him that that made it very desirable, I got the impression that he thought I was only concerned with how it looked, I took it as read that audio quality was a given. I can’t find a picture on-line but I’m sure it existed. The lovely heatsink fins were on the back so I wouldn’t have rack mounted it if I’d bought it, it would have been put on top of the rack mount case for all to see.
I couldn’t afford it at the time but I later bought the original Apogee duet.
All those lovely early Apple Macs were hidden away in a DIY foam lined cabinet to suppress fan noise.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:18 pm

MOF wrote:
Among my studio stuff are fridges

I hope you don’t need to record anything with a microphone, many a perfect take ruined by the compressor switching on.

I did go to an invited event in Nottingham where Bob Clearmountain was promoting his (Apogee) latest audio interface, which had a really lovely metallic purple heatsink and other details as well as the brushed aluminium casing. I told him that that made it very desirable, I got the impression that he thought I was only concerned with how it looked, I took it as read that audio quality was a given. I can’t find a picture on-line but I’m sure it existed. The lovely heatsink fins were on the back so I wouldn’t have rack mounted it if I’d bought it, it would have been put on top of the rack mount case for all to see.
I couldn’t afford it at the time but I later bought the original Apogee duet.
All those lovely early Apple Macs were hidden away in a DIY foam lined cabinet to suppress fan noise.

We’ve got four fridges in our basement, my partner likes them, but I haven’t had any noises from them at all, I don’t use mic’s down there, just keyboards and stuff.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:53 pm

We’ve got four fridges in our basement, my partner likes them, but I haven’t had any noises from them at all, I don’t use mic’s down there, just keyboards and stuff.

That’s good. I do know of a situation where a refrigerated drinks machine caused clicking noises in a nearby studio, they had to arrange for a separate power supply.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:11 pm

Do keep your ears open when recording though Tony, as even line-level synth outputs can gain the odd click from a freezer/fridge en route.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby CS70 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:30 pm

MOF wrote:I hope you don’t need to record anything with a microphone, many a perfect take ruined by the compressor switching on.

When I was a kid I was starting to dabble with programming on the Spectrum, and at 13 I had gotten my hands to my first assembler (I think it was Gens3m2), and I was happily spending my evenings coding a version of Frogger in Z80, since at that age I wasn't allowed to be out late.

Now the Spectrum, me being 13, was on my desk, in the room I shared with my sister, together with a small black and white portable CRT TV. Once a week or so I would bring the computer to my uncle in another flat in the building. He had a color TV, and I could take notes on how the colors I'd chosen looked like.

Since we had a small house and the room for me and my sister had been produced by minimizing what was originally the kitchen, the house fridge was just nearby my desk.

It had been cladded by the same light beige laminate that the rest of the furniture was made of, so it wasn't too conspicuous. And of course at that age neither me nor my sister had been asked for an opinion. God bless my mother, she'd done the best she could with the space she had.

The little detail was, however, that the wall socket I was using was shared by the Spectrum power supply, the television cable.. and the fridge.

I think that my deep and detailed knowledge of the workings of the Z80 CPU by the age of 14 came from the incredible amount of practice in re-writing code which had been wiped out by a ZOT! from the fridge compressor at the wrong moment - and re-writing it fast, to be able to save it to a new cassette before it got zapped again.

Fridges are character-building. :)
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby manwilde » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:50 pm

That´s a lovely and very funny story, thanks for sharing it! (I guess it was not so funny when it happened, but where would your character be without that fridge?)
manwilde
Regular

Postby MOF » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:51 pm

Fridges are character-building. :)

So was the Spectrum, I had to reload program cassettes so many times and tweak the cassette player’s azimuth, again, so many hours wasted!!!
I built a midi interface for that computer too, it never worked, I was so pleased to get the Atari ST 1040 a year or two later.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:18 pm

I was of blessed in that respect in the sense that my Philips mono portable tape recorder was mostly loading and saving fine.

As for the fun and irritation.. at that age you have zero expectations on how things are supposed to be... they are as they are. So the occasional zap was just part of the world, after a while I came to expect it and I don't recall being particularly irritated by it.

It's strange to think like that as a grown up in full control, but it's not a bad attitude.. it has its bad sides, however: it never dawned of me to actually do something about it, such as taking and extension lead and see if using another socket would have made a difference. :D
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:38 am

CS70 wrote:It's strange to think like that as a grown up in full control,

Control, it seems that’s what we desire most, and as time and technology roll on we think we have more and more control, mans desire to control things.
I’m always fighting against control, artistically mainly, so I’ll stick to that, although I’m always clashing with it in other areas of my life.
It's very difficult to instigate a lack of control, creatively, more difficult than people think, and also to produce usable results.
I'm always thinking that a great piece of music will come out of a generative system, untouched by human hand, but it’s always a let down, no matter who’s instigated it, the randomness of human interaction and the unpredictable decisions we make are hard to replicate.
But handing over control and giving it up to machines, or delegating it to someone else, as in a band setting, are two distinctly different things, we haven’t yet got to the point of programming machines to respond like human beings in a creative environment.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous