You are here

quiet kick pedal

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

quiet kick pedal

Postby MadManDan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:31 pm

Hi all.

I’m considering getting a kick drum pedal for my drum programming. To supplement what I play on a keyboard.

Any drummers know of a pedal that is really mechanically quiet? I know my foot will be tapping it. Other than that, I don’t need my neighbors hearing me playing through the thin walls here.

MadManDan
User avatar
MadManDan
Frequent Poster
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Across the pond....New Yawk
Late '14 mini 3 GHz i7 16 GB
Catalina 10.15.7. Glyph atomic. FF Scarlet 18i8. 
Sup Drum 3. Cubase 11 Pro
iCon iKb 8x.  Mics, spkrs, 'phones, gtrs, greedy cat

Re: quiet kick pedal

Postby RichardT » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:37 pm

MadManDan wrote:Hi all.

I’m considering getting a kick drum pedal for my drum programming. To supplement what I play on a keyboard.

Any drummers know of a pedal that is really mechanically quiet? I know my foot will be tapping it. Other than that, I don’t need my neighbors hearing me playing through the thin walls here.

MadManDan

What will the pedal be hitting? In my experience kick drum pedals themselves are quite quiet, you may hear a slight rattle when you play it.
RichardT
Regular
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am
Location: London UK

Re: quiet kick pedal

Postby MadManDan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:43 pm

RichardT wrote:...What will the pedal be hitting? In my experience kick drum pedals themselves are quite quiet, you may hear a slight rattle when you play it.
But there is the sound of the beater hitting the pad. . so here's what I'm thinking. I'm not a drummer, I don't need all the resolution of hitting something hard.

I'm thinking more like a drum pad I can actually hit with my foot. It won't be as accurate as a proper foot driven beater type affair, but would still suffice. I plan on usually editing the midi data later to really perfect the dynamics. As long as this gets me in the ballpark. I think Roland has a new product like this, not sure.

I mean, hell, now I have a sustain pedal that's got a rubber stop. For the moment I'm considering plugging that in, and using cubase to turn sustain messages into midi note 36. Obviously, that has a resolution of...none :headbang:
User avatar
MadManDan
Frequent Poster
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Across the pond....New Yawk
Late '14 mini 3 GHz i7 16 GB
Catalina 10.15.7. Glyph atomic. FF Scarlet 18i8. 
Sup Drum 3. Cubase 11 Pro
iCon iKb 8x.  Mics, spkrs, 'phones, gtrs, greedy cat

Re: quiet kick pedal

Postby BJG145 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:54 pm

Roland KT-10.,..? No pad.

Image

The KT-10 has a fast and fluid response to your footwork with an all-in-one design and a reverse action trigger mechanism that means the pedal is far quieter than a kick pad played with a standard pedal and beater. In fact, it produces approximately 75% less noise than a Roland KD-9 kick pad and beater.

https://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Pe ... yQQAvD_BwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm6gt3KY5T0

I think there are also other electronic kick pedals that don't use pads...
User avatar
BJG145
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4666
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:00 am

Re: quiet kick pedal

Postby MadManDan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:13 pm

BJG145 wrote:Roland KT-10.,..? No pad.

Image

The KT-10 has a fast and fluid response to your footwork with an all-in-one design and a reverse action trigger mechanism that means the pedal is far quieter than a kick pad played with a standard pedal and beater. In fact, it produces approximately 75% less noise than a Roland KD-9 kick pad and beater.

https://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Pe ... yQQAvD_BwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm6gt3KY5T0

I think there are also other electronic kick pedals that don't use pads...
ooooh nice. Now we're talking. I like that it uses the same action as a real pedal without the noise.
User avatar
MadManDan
Frequent Poster
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Across the pond....New Yawk
Late '14 mini 3 GHz i7 16 GB
Catalina 10.15.7. Glyph atomic. FF Scarlet 18i8. 
Sup Drum 3. Cubase 11 Pro
iCon iKb 8x.  Mics, spkrs, 'phones, gtrs, greedy cat

Re: quiet kick pedal

Postby BJG145 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:23 pm

I was looking at these years ago...there's also this Yamaha one...

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/yamaha-ku10 ... GQQAvD_BwE

...but I think the Roland came out tops back then.

The KT-9 is slightly cheaper.
User avatar
BJG145
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4666
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:00 am