You are here

Neumann KH120 or Genelec 8030C?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Neumann KH120 or Genelec 8030C?

Postby Duncan mackay » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:58 pm

I would like to ask Hugh (Robjohns) and anyone else who can comment - I have a small studio for editing (around 3.5 x3.5 m) untreated, and have a pair of Genelec 1029As which are getting old . I mainly record using classical balance techniques on location so I need speakers that are well-built and have a flat response. I was considering either Genelec 8030C s or Neumann KH120's. The self noise from the Neumanns seems to be higher on the spec list, but which would be more suitable? Thanks Duncan Mackay
Duncan mackay

Re: Neumann KH120 or Genelec 8030C?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:04 pm

They're both fine and capable speakers.

Personally, I find Genelecs to be a little more forward and pushy-sounding, whereas the Neumanns are more neutral.

But I'm sure some would argue the Genelecs are neutral and the Neumanns, laid back...

I've used KH120s for recording classical material on location and got on with them very well, and I use KH310s at home for mastering and editing. I've had Genelecs before, and I love the Ones...

Sorry. That's not going to help much... but the bottom line is you won't go wrong with either, but you may have a personal preference for one over the other.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:05 pm

Or buy some KH80s and spend the difference on room treatment? You know it makes sense ;)

Oh and welcome BTW.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby dfira » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:12 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Personally, I find Genelecs to be a little more forward and pushy-sounding, whereas the Neumanns are more neutral.

+1 here, i had the same comparing my Genelecs to JBLs. The Genelecs we're absolutely up to the task, but i did find them a little tiring to listen to for long periods of time.
dfira
Poster