You are here

Scarlett 4i4 sound problem

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Scarlett 4i4 sound problem

Postby willie45 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:14 am

Hi

I replaced my 2i2 with this and I cannot figure it out. I can only get dry sounds from my guitar with I plug it in and it doesn't matter if I use Logic, MainStage or nothing, it all sounds straight guitar with nothing added. I switch on amps and effects and nothing changes.

I'm guessing it's something to do with Direct Monitoring which I have no idea how to turn off. Does this sound likely?

Can anyone help me please?

Thank you
willie45
Poster

Re: Scarlett 4i4 sound problem

Postby desmond » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:39 am

In Logic, you need to turn on Software Monitoring in the audio prefs, and yes, you need to use the Focusrite control panel to turn off direct monitoring in the interface (ie, don't route the audio interface inputs to the audio interface outputs.)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Rockrooms » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:01 pm

willie45 wrote:Hi

I replaced my 2i2 with this and I cannot figure it out. I can only get dry sounds from my guitar with I plug it in and it doesn't matter if I use Logic, MainStage or nothing, it all sounds straight guitar with nothing added. I switch on amps and effects and nothing changes.

I'm guessing it's something to do with Direct Monitoring which I have no idea how to turn off. Does this sound likely?

Can anyone help me please?

Thank you
Not sure if you are monitoring via headphones or speakers, but the idea is the same.
Sounds like you have Focusrite Control setup for Hardware input for the outputs.

If you load up Focusrite Control, select the Output Routing option, you want Monitor outputs set to Playback 1-2, or if you are on headphones (Line outputs 3-4), set those to playback 1-2. I suspect currently they are set to Input 1-2, which is why you're getting the dry sound.

Joe
Rockrooms
Regular

Postby willie45 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:38 pm

Thank you both for your help. I will try that tonight when I get onto my computer. I can't help feeling this software is complicating things a bit more than I'd prefer :)
willie45
Poster