You are here

QSC TouchMix Pro 30?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: QSC TouchMix Pro 30?

Postby Dave B » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:40 pm

I've had the 16 for years now and it went to get fixed at the beginning of the year - my own fault for storing it in a cold, damp garage rather than indoors. In fairness, the screen connector had gone and the unit could still work over wifi until I messed up.

They really are great units and I love mine to bits.

BUT ....

I got an XR18 as a backup whilst the Touchmix was away and have really been impressed. For the money, it's no-brainer.

The TouchMix 30 is a good bit bigger than my 16 and if I were to go for a bigger console, I'm not sure I'd got for that - I'd be very tempted by the A+H desks... But then I'd be looking at the remote stage boxes as well. Hmmnn.

Still - love my 16 to bits. You can mix a recording as well on it. I found that the official software to get the raw multitrack files too clunky so I wrote my own. But others have since said that they'd not noticed the issues I found .. so ..
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:50 pm

Touchmix 8 early adopter here and user of all sorts of mixers since 1972... :)

From everything I've read from you Arp I think you'll struggle... in use you won't like the fact that it has no physical faders or any other adjustment controls.

If the digital light really has dawned I think you'll get on much better with an X32 derivative or an A&H Qu-whatever.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:38 am

Mike Stranks wrote:Touchmix 8 early adopter here and user of all sorts of mixers since 1972... :)

From everything I've read from you Arp I think you'll struggle... in use you won't like the fact that it has no physical faders or any other adjustment controls.

If the digital light really has dawned I think you'll get on much better with an X32 derivative or an A&H Qu-whatever.

Thanks folks, yes, I’m not rushing in, been watching a few videos about it, and trying to imagine just using the screen.
A major concern is that connector fault in damp environments, as you know, my studio is in a damp basement, so that’s not a good sign, although no problems so far, touch wood, with any of my other gear.
I’m very attracted by the sheer number of aux sends, and onboard FX, I am under the impression that you can use different effects on different channels, is this true of all digital mixers? that’s amazing to me, and would cut down on my outboard.
The only other mixer I’ve considered lately is the Korg Soundlink, but it’s not as flexible as the QSC, has 6 aux sends, and the FX aren’t on a per-channel basis, they are global.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:49 am

Arpangel wrote:I am under the impression that you can use different effects on different channels, is this true of all digital mixers? that’s amazing to me, and would cut down on my outboard.

The Pro30 has, I think 6 effects engines, so I presume you could generate up to six different FX and either use them as aux send-returns in the traditional way or insert them directly into individual channels/groups/mains much like a plugin in a DAW. Certainly most digital mixers allow their effects engines to be used in this kind of flexible way. However, I don't know the QSC console in detail, so you'll need to read the manual for a precise understanding of what's actually possible on that specific console.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:05 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I am under the impression that you can use different effects on different channels, is this true of all digital mixers? that’s amazing to me, and would cut down on my outboard.

The Pro30 has, I think 6 effects engines, so I presume you could generate up to six different FX and either use them as aux send-returns in the traditional way or insert them directly into individual channels/groups/mains much like a plugin in a DAW. Certainly most digital mixers allow their effects engines to be used in this kind of flexible way. However, I don't know the QSC console in detail, so you'll need to read the manual for a precise understanding of what's actually possible on that specific console.

Thanks Hugh, yes, I just assumed that all digital mixers enabled you to have different effects, on different channels, dependant on the number of FX engines you have.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous