You are here

Line 6 Helix OS V3

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Line 6 Helix OS V3

Postby The Elf » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:05 pm

Just to let everyone know that V3 is here.

This is the pedal investment that keeps on paying the dividend.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Line 6 Helix OS V3

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:12 pm

I installed the other evening. The Princeton amp (Princess in Line6 speak) is nice. The poly pitch shifting stuff is very DSP hungry and, in my view, not that great.

Still, it was free so no complaints from me.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby paul tha other » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:04 pm

Music Wolf wrote:I installed the other evening. The Princeton amp (Princess in Line6 speak) is nice. The poly pitch shifting stuff is very DSP hungry and, in my view, not that great.

Still, it was free so no complaints from me.

ive got the hx effects so maybe this dosnt happen to this model because its just an effects box so maybe the question is irrelevent

ive heard about this "dsp hungry" term thrown about on the line 6 forum and for the life of me i cant figure out what it means...how does this manifest itself? does the signal get "bity or grainy" ? cause ive tried loading up the "dsp hungry " things and im struggling to notice how /if im missing the point
paul tha other
Frequent Poster
http://www.myspace.com/onemanandalaptop

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:56 am

paul tha other wrote:
Music Wolf wrote:ive heard about this "dsp hungry" term thrown about on the line 6 forum and for the life of me i cant figure out what it means...how does this manifest itself? does the signal get "bity or grainy" ?

The signal quality doesn't degrade but you are limited as to how many, or which type, of effects you can use in combination.

The Helix floor has its DSP split across two paths which can be run in parallel or linked in series. Each path can support up to 8 blocks (a block being an effect or an amp sim etc). The various effects take up more or less DSP, a complex reverb or amp sim takes up much more than say a volume pedal. As you near the DSP limit so the more hungry effects become greyed out in the effects option list.

The new Poly Pitch Shift takes up about 50% of the available DSP for one path.

I play in two bands (or did when live music was a thing), one of which plays de-tuned by a semitone. It would have been nice if I could have used a pitch shift (there's a new effect called Capo) so that I could drop all my effect patches by a semitone should I want to practice something without retuning a guitar. Unfortunately it is too DSP hungry but also, having built a trimmed down patch, I don't think that it is good enough anyway.

The new Princeton amp is enough for me anyway. I now need to rebuild a couple of patches so that will keep me out of trouble for a while.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)