You are here

Does a microphone hear a stereo image like a person?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Does a microphone hear a stereo image like a person?

Postby CS70 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:19 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:... at which point the gloriously rich, colourful, dramatic sunset we thought we were about to record suddenly looked very ordinary, flat and boring! :headbang:

You had just discovered Instagram! :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:23 pm

A picture of Hugh's room if he had invented Instagram:

(Actually in BOP studios: https://www.soundonsound.com/music-busi ... dios-story)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:04 pm

CS70 wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I used to think that if it sounds good where you’re standing, then that’s where the microphones should go, as the mic’s should pick up what I’m hearing.

It's a good starting point, but it works if "sounds good" is "sounds good thru monitoring or you are listening to a recording taken in that position"!

If you evaluate positions moving the mic with your headphones on, while well insulated from the room sound, it gives you a starting point quite quickly.

I meant standing in the hall listening to the performers, before we put any mic’s up.
When I used to record with my friend, I’d think it sounded OK where we’d put the mic’s, he’d suddenly jump up and say "I’ve f****d it!" I’d say why? he’d say......the brass isn’t loud enough, I hadn’t noticed, but after he mentioned it it was plainly obvious.

:crazy:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:40 pm

:lol: Yes -- it's learning to interpret what you actually hear and translate that, based on experience, to what you imagine the mics will capture.... and usually then fudging the mics about a bit more after discovering what they are really delivering through the speakers (or headphones)... :D
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:30 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote::lol: Yes -- it's learning to interpret what you actually hear and translate that, based on experience, to what you imagine the mics will capture.... and usually then fudging the mics about a bit more after discovering what they are really delivering through the speakers (or headphones)... :D

That’s exactly it, I can’t imagine getting a good balance without an isolated control room area to put a pair of monitors, I’m always in awe of those who can get good results "in the room" using just their experience and judgement. Saying that, all of our piano and Marimba stuff is done in the same room, but I’m pragmatic, if it turns out OK fine, and if it does, it’s certainly not down to my skill, it’s pure luck!
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:20 pm

An afternoon doing test recordings to find the best mic positions for the marimba without the pressure of trying to record a piece might be time well spent (when we are allowed to that is). Then keep records so you can repeat the setup when you meet up to do some 'proper' recording.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:33 am

Sam Spoons wrote:An afternoon doing test recordings to find the best mic positions for the marimba without the pressure of trying to record a piece might be time well spent (when we are allowed to that is). Then keep records so you can repeat the setup when you meet up to do some 'proper' recording.

This what we used to try and do, and it’s interesting listening back to various sessions, the differences, we’ve got it down to the right mic's, but positions have to vary, as our instrumentation changes sometimes, and it’s synths, integrating a DI'd sound into things, and monitoring that, I find most difficult out of all of it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:29 pm

That complicates matters, obviously you'll need to repeat for different miked instruments. Apologies for teaching Granny to suck eggs :)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:34 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:That complicates matters, obviously you'll need to repeat for different miked instruments. Apologies for teaching Granny to suck eggs :)

I find the biggest issue isn’t acoustic instruments, it’s when you start to ad electronics, speakers etc, trying to balance the speakers and put them in an ideal place, I prefer to mic-up the whole lot acoustically, including amps, rather than DI.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous