You are here

New Mic/Headset setup

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

New Mic/Headset setup

Postby entropy93 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:47 am

Hey there,

I've decided to upgrade from a regular gaming headset to a stand alone headset/microphone. I have chosen the Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO and the RODE Procaster. I'm looking to find the gear required to make full use of these. They will be used for live voice chat such as discord.

I currently have a UR12, however it is quite old and it's my understanding that the gain (54 db max) on this would be too low for the Procaster?

Due to this issue I'm considering buying a new audio mixer or interface rather than purchasing a preamp. What are my options for an audio mixer/interface that could properly power the procaster without requiring a preamp?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
entropy93

Re: New Mic/Headset setup

Postby blinddrew » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:43 am

I'd be very surprised if the UR12 wouldn't happily work with the Procaster, but you might need to have the gain knob fairly high (nothing wrong with this) and you might need to work the microphone fairly close.
As you already own the UR12 you could always just experiment and see?

Most interfaces have pretty similar specs at the entry/mid-level - I'm not sure how much more you'd have to spend to get something with notably higher gain.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:09 pm

Quite honestly, with all the interviews we see now on TV with MPs and health pros in swimming pool acoustics talking at a laptop or a mic two feet away I would have them ALL forced to use a headset! Can and NC mic combined.

Just today on BBC Morning Line they we interviewing a joung lady health worker and, articulate though she was a lot of her voice was lost in the 'verby' surroundings. There was no sign of a tie tack mic, no lavalier and they all seem to have given up on the mic on a pole!

You can buy a Sennheiser USB headset for around £20 and it will give clear, 'dry' speech.

Of course! If you WANT to sound all "mumbly and sexy" go ahead!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby entropy93 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:36 am

Thanks for your replies. I went ahead and purchases these, will test them with my UR12 and go from there.
entropy93