You are here

Which audio interface advice?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Which audio interface advice?

Postby punkyfish » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:33 am

Hi, so am buying other half an audio interface for Christmas, looking at the following 3 purely because he said he wanted enough inputs to record a live band maybe at some time in the future. He has used Cubase before so happy to stick with that, max budget is around the items below. My emphasis whenever I buy something is on quality but as a newbie would love advice on the following:

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3 gen
Steinberg UR816C
Presonus Studio 1824C

I did read the article in sound on sound but to be honest it’s all Greek to me! Do the other two work well with Cubase?

Thanks for any help!
punkyfish
Poster

Re: Which audio interface advice?

Postby blinddrew » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:35 am

They are all good units, have similar specifications and will work quite happily with Cubase. I note that the Focusrite is the only one that can accept an external pre-amp via ADAT at higher sample rates but whether this will ever be an issue is not something I can answer (it wouldn't be an issue for me! ;) )
The Steinberg is made by the same folks who make Cubase but whether there is any additional functionality or features that are unlocked because of that I'm not sure, perhaps a cubase user will chip in shortly.
What I can say is that if my other half presented me with any one of these at Christmas I'd be quite a happy bunny. :)

[EDIT - one other thing, to get the full set of available input channels (say 16 microphones or instruments, which you'd probably need for a full band recording, your other half will need to buy an additional rack of pre-amplifiers. These units have 8 built in, but they're all 'expandable' to get and additional 8 channels built in. ]
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby punkyfish » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:00 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I must confess I don’t know what the ADAT thing is! Very useful to know about the pre amps required for the 16 inputs, thank you.

Quite a big difference in price so hard knowing what to get. The fact you would be happy with any one is exactly what I wanted to hear, so thank you!
punkyfish
Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:29 pm

punkyfish wrote:Quite a big difference in price so hard knowing what to get.

They are all sonically good enough but have different feature sets... the Steinberg for example has onboard DSP. Whether or not these features are or will be useful to you, only you can know.. or better, at the beginning you don't :), so probably best to get the cheapest while you find what you want to do with it and what you need for it.

As an example, using my own UR28M interface I find the onboard DSP useful when recording on location, so it's my main rig for that kind of recording when I need just a few channels. But if you never make location recordings or your laptop is powerful enough to run a reverb with the singer monitoring thru it, you will never need it...
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby punkyfish » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:15 pm

blinddrew wrote:They are all good units, have similar specifications and will work quite happily with Cubase. I note that the Focusrite is the only one that can accept an external pre-amp via ADAT at higher sample rates but whether this will ever be an issue is not something I can answer (it wouldn't be an issue for me! ;) )
The Steinberg is made by the same folks who make Cubase but whether there is any additional functionality or features that are unlocked because of that I'm not sure, perhaps a cubase user will chip in shortly.
What I can say is that if my other half presented me with any one of these at Christmas I'd be quite a happy bunny. :)

[EDIT - one other thing, to get the full set of available input channels (say 16 microphones or instruments, which you'd probably need for a full band recording, your other half will need to buy an additional rack of pre-amplifiers. These units have 8 built in, but they're all 'expandable' to get and additional 8 channels built in. ]

Thank you!
punkyfish
Poster