You are here

Who wants to buy a new Reel-To Reel?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Who wants to buy a new Reel-To Reel?

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:18 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac3cXu27M-M

Very tempting, but I bet they’ve sold out.

:-|
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Who wants to buy a new Reel-To Reel?

Postby FrankF » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:26 pm

Uh er, missus!
Reminds me of how I used to covet Revox and Tascam machines in the 90s, especially the Revoxes that went SLOOOOW.

I wonder if Robin Guthrie hung onto his A-3440...Maybe it's sitting there, gathering dust in his Brittany bolthole.
FrankF
Regular

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:18 pm

I never, EVER want to see a tape machine again. I lived through that hell and there's no way I would go back! :headbang:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby James Perrett » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:25 pm

Very nice - looks a reasonable price too though I would say it is more of a curiosity than something useful. There are a few boutique audiophile reel to reel machines being made but the prices I've seen are pretty high. Allowing for inflation, a Revox B77 would cost around £2500 these days.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Kwackman » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:50 pm

The Elf wrote:I never, EVER want to see a tape machine again. I lived through that hell and there's no way I would go back! :headbang:
This man speaks the truth!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:52 pm

The ones on ebay seem to be around half that, this one is a little more than half but appears to be a particularly good example https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revox-B77-mkII-Reel-to-Reel-serviced-and-boxed-with-accessories-as-listed-shown/324369704957?hash=item4b85f0e7fd:g:1l8AAOSwVjdfkt7z.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:33 pm

Can't really tell how good that one is Sam because there are no pictures of the heads. It also sounds like they haven't checked for parts that need replacing so there's a good chance that the new owner will find smoke coming out of it sometime soon. Typical used prices for a B77 seem to be around £800-900 at the moment.
James Perrett

Postby MOF » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:43 pm

I wonder if Robin Guthrie hung onto his A-3440...Maybe it's sitting there, gathering dust in his Brittany bolthole.

I’ve still got mine, one day, when I get a room large enough, I’ll put it in a display cabinet.

It also sounds like they haven't checked for parts that need replacing so there's a good chance that the new owner will find smoke coming out of it sometime soon

He says in the video that they check each one before dispatch. The only thing likely to go wrong is electrolytic capacitors, a visual inspection suffices there, plus rubber capstan and belt drives, I presume they are swapped if they’ve perished.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:47 pm

MOF wrote:
It also sounds like they haven't checked for parts that need replacing so there's a good chance that the new owner will find smoke coming out of it sometime soon

He says in the video that they check each one before dispatch. The only thing likely to go wrong is electrolytic capacitors, a visual inspection suffices there, plus rubber capstan and belt drives, I presume they are swapped if they’ve perished.

I think I probably confused things as I was talking about the Ebay auction that Sam Spoons linked to rather than the original video of the Uher.

Any knowledgeable Revox seller should mention the 3 Rifa capacitors that crack with age and eventually start smoking and go short circuit, often taking out other components with them. These are normally a 'replace on sight' item.
James Perrett

Postby DGL. » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:00 pm

James Perrett wrote:
Any knowledgeable Revox seller should mention the 3 Rifa capacitors that crack with age and eventually start smoking and go short circuit, often taking out other components with them. These are normally a 'replace on sight' item.

Yes, anything with RIFA X2/mains suppression paper capacitors can fail quite dramatically, so replacement with modern non-paper types is essential. Just to think you can buy NOS ones on ebay!, who on earth would want to do that :shocked:
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:45 pm

James Perrett wrote:Can't really tell how good that one is Sam because there are no pictures of the heads. It also sounds like they haven't checked for parts that need replacing so there's a good chance that the new owner will find smoke coming out of it sometime soon. Typical used prices for a B77 seem to be around £800-900 at the moment.

Well, they appear to be a dealer so you would have some comeback. Prices for completed, sold B77s vary from £255 up to £1850.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Tim Gillett » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:55 pm

I always liked those little Uher Reports. In their day a much cheaper alternative to the Nagra but very usable. But another part which eventually deteriorates is the rubber drive surface on the capstan wheel. Typically the rubber slowly goes hard, making running noisy and eventually tape drive becomes unreliable. I read recently that someone in Europe was selling the assemblies refurbished. Maybe it's the same people as here and because they have to refurbish the rubber on these NOS machines anyway before sale.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:27 pm

Ah the Uher 4000!

My partner for all my radio work 1976-1990. I found it opened a lot of doors at stations when I said, "I've got my own Uher..." :lol:

I then switched to a Sony WM-D6 cassette machine for another few years before I went to minidisk.

Whaddya mean, old? :D
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:01 am

Sam Spoons wrote:
James Perrett wrote:Can't really tell how good that one is Sam because there are no pictures of the heads. It also sounds like they haven't checked for parts that need replacing so there's a good chance that the new owner will find smoke coming out of it sometime soon. Typical used prices for a B77 seem to be around £800-900 at the moment.

Well, they appear to be a dealer so you would have some comeback. Prices for completed, sold B77s vary from £255 up to £1850.

I had two B77’s on permanent loan back in the 90’s, I opened them up because of some problem or other, I was really surprised at how bad the build quality was, low quality pots and components, badly installed, it’s really surprising how they became an industry standard as I though the Japanese machines like the Tascam 32-2B were much better built, and sounded great.
I ended up giving back the Revox's and I bought a Tascam, interesting bit of info, I also had a Teac 3440 at the time, amazing condition in a custom built flight case, it was at one point used by John Cage on a European tour, as a four channel surround source, I wish I had kept that machine, it had a great history.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:52 am

If anyone does want an open reel machine, I've still got that UHER Report Stereo machine, that I'd accept any reasonable offer for - with about half a dozen BASF tapes .
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Next