You are here

Who wants to buy a new Reel-To Reel?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Who wants to buy a new Reel-To Reel?

Postby Arpangel » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:46 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Hmmm.... It does... But only if you use appropriate equipment appropriately and know what to do with it.

Well, that’s me out then.

:D
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6273
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Who wants to buy a new Reel-To Reel?

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:43 am

Arpangel wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:Hmmm.... It does... But only if you use appropriate equipment appropriately and know what to do with it.

Well, that’s me out then.

:D

Why?

I'm 70 and still learning stuff all the time... just recently I learnt how to slow things down and speed them up digitally without anyone being any the wiser. I'm talking changing tempo, but leaving pitch alone.

This morning i shall be experimenting with some video effects I want to try for my Christmas 'production'....

Go on! Be bold! :D

... please don't continue saying things 'can't be done' or 'it's not very good' when you mean in your experience so far you haven't worked it out or have no inclination to do so. You're giving us old codgers a bad name! :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7846
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Who wants to buy a new Reel-To Reel?

Postby Arpangel » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:57 am

Folderol wrote:
John Stafford wrote:I would dearly love a nice reel-to-reel. It's absolutely not necessary, and it doesn't make any sense at all, but none of the things I love make any sense. :beamup:
Well I've mentioned the UHER here, and several other places. If you want it, it's yours for whatever you offer more than the cost of postage - with half a dozen tapes thrown in, and a set of replacement belts. It worked last time I tried it, which was something like 6 months ago.

If nobody ever claims it, then with great reluctance it will eventually have to go to the dump.

If no one else claims this Folderol, put me second in line, if Dan doesn’t take it, I can sort post out and give you something on top.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6273
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Who wants to buy a new Reel-To Reel?

Postby jimjazzdad » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:53 pm

If I was on the right side of the pond, I'd have been all over Folderol's offer. As it is, I'm glad that the Uher is going to find a good home. I don't know if its a bit of a no-no to promote other forums here, but there is lots of support for reel to reels of all makes over at Tapeheads.net - a mix of techies and oxide apostles.

While I will never stop using my digital gear as my primary, there IS something about tape. Maybe its just a romantic notion coupled with selective amnesia. I still own, and occasionally use, a Tascam 32, a Teac A-3340S and a Teac A-3300SX. I gave my 'spare' A-3340S to my son.
User avatar
jimjazzdad
Regular
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:00 am
Halifax, NS, CANADA

Re: Who wants to buy a new Reel-To Reel?

Postby Dan LB » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:09 pm

jimjazzdad wrote:If I was on the right side of the pond, I'd have been all over Folderol's offer. As it is, I'm glad that the Uher is going to find a good home. I don't know if its a bit of a no-no to promote other forums here, but there is lots of support for reel to reels of all makes over at Tapeheads.net - a mix of techies and oxide apostles.

While I will never stop using my digital gear as my primary, there IS something about tape. Maybe its just a romantic notion coupled with selective amnesia. I still own, and occasionally use, a Tascam 32, a Teac A-3340S and a Teac A-3300SX. I gave my 'spare' A-3340S to my son.

I’m a member of Tapeheads.net, as are a few others around here. It’s a great resource.
I own and use a Tascam 388, a Sony TC-399, and a Sony TC-106. I actually enjoy the process of working with tape! :headbang:
User avatar
Dan LB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1488
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Wicklow, Ireland

Re: Who wants to buy a new Reel-To Reel?

Postby 4TrackMadman » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:16 am

I'd love to go back to tape, 16ch 2inch was gold. Best sound quality for rock/metal IMO.
Now you can track on that and dump the rest of the project in for completion in DAW, so yes, absolutely.
User avatar
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1125
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:00 am
http://www.scrollkeeper.net

Re: Who wants to buy a new Reel-To Reel?

Postby Zukan » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:56 am

Nothing will tempt me to go back to tape...hardware I mean.
User avatar
Zukan
Moderator
Posts: 9074
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Who wants to buy a new Reel-To Reel?

Postby James Perrett » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:16 pm

4TrackMadman wrote:16ch 2inch was gold. Best sound quality for rock/metal IMO.

Good for reggae too. In fact great for most types of music where you want a little euphoric colouration. Only problem is that a reel of tape is over £200 for 15 or 30 minutes of recording time.
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 10117
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Previous