You are here

Charging up Zoom H2n Recorder

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Charging up Zoom H2n Recorder

Postby Michael Kemp » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:32 am

Hi. Simple question for a H2n beginner. How long should I charge my Zoom H2n recorder up for, when charging from the mains? Can it overcharge if left too long?? many thanks...
Michael Kemp

Re: Charging up Zoom H2n Recorder

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:24 pm

The H2n uses alkaline or rechargeable (NiMH) AA batteries and AFAIK you can't charge them in the recorder but need to use an external charger.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:35 pm

Michael Kemp wrote:Hi. Simple question for a H2n beginner. How long should I charge my Zoom H2n recorder up for, when charging from the mains? Can it overcharge if left too long?? many thanks...

You cannot charge batteries in the H2n. It does not have that facility. The mains power supply only powers the unit itself.

If you want to use rechargeable AA batteries you'll need a separate external battery charger of a type that matches the battery chemistry you're using (Ni-MH batteries would be the most appropriate).
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Michael Kemp » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:24 pm

Many thanks Sam Spoons and Hugh Robjohns. Useful info, thanks. But if I just want to charge up the UNIT (not the batteries), how long should I keep it connected to the mains? I don't want to run the risk of damaging the recorder...
Michael Kemp

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:55 pm

Michael Kemp wrote:But if I just want to charge up the UNIT (not the batteries), how long should I keep it connected to the mains? I don't want to run the risk of damaging the recorder...

You can't charge up the unit. There is nothing in there to charge! It operates either from AA batteries or the mains power supply.

So if you want to use the unit from mains power, connect the mains power unit. There is no limit to the duration it can operate on mains power. But when you've finished using it, switch off the mains supply!

If you want to use it on batteries, put in some batteries.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Michael Kemp » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:57 pm

Ah thanks, Hugh. Got it now! Thanks for clarification...
Michael Kemp