You are here

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Newbie

Postby musicegbdf » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:38 am

Thanks Dave , good questions and I dont know the answer . I think I will take Andy's advice and wait a while. It looks like I will be able to use the Godin and of course the laptop keyboard to start with. I had a good look round yesterday at controllers and watched some reviews and even more confused. However , it did give me a base .
Just heard the laptop has been delayed.
Two other bits of kit I still have ( daughter didnt borrow). A focusrite trakmaster platinum pre amp and nice Fostex monitors , plus all the leads I need. I might also be able to use the old aw1600 for mixing / mastering as always nice having real faders, etc.
Think I will also take out a subscription to SOS.
When I was working I used to read it at the Barbican music library in London.
Thks again all for your comments.
musicegbdf
Poster
Ray

Postby ef37a » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:50 am

https://www.amazon.co.uk/M-Audio-Keysta ... th=1&psc=1

Son used a version of the above, it was the Evolution Ekeys49 and I think the M-A kbd is a clone since the drivers worked with our Evo!

Our unit has a MIDI out port as well as USB so you could power it from any 5V source and plug the DIN into an interface..OR! as we did, feed USB to one computer and DIN to another and play two different instruments at once!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:43 am

That's what I've got ^^^ though mine doesn't have a din out.
Almost worth the asking price for the included piano (eighty-eight) and synth (Xpand2) software.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:17 pm

blinddrew wrote:That's what I've got ^^^ though mine doesn't have a din out.
Almost worth the asking price for the included piano (eighty-eight) and synth (Xpand2) software.

Well! the tight *^%"ds! I bought our EK49 yonks ago from Comet as was. It came with some teaching software and a programmable sampler called "Picture Board". Really rather good, nice piano in it and drums and some effects. Latency was fantastically low. I remember running an M-A Fast track pro on an 850 MEGA Hz laptop 500k ram and a 20G HDD, XP ro and it was virtually instantaneous. Win Wave table was dreadful.

And that was USB One dot One!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Chet Leeway » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:55 pm

Further comments from a fellow hobbyist:

Definitely full size keys. They will also normally feel better than minikeys, with the right amount of resistance and cushioning.

Piano style keys can be really nice to play for many sounds (especially piano sounds, duh), but to me a decent range is far more important.

Having access to a full size piano which I sometimes tinkle on, I came to the conclusion that the lowest and highest octaves are pretty extreme, so 61 keys feels adequate for popular music (it's also the maximum size for my desk).

Personally I always keep an eye on the local second hand market. Often when I have a need/desire but I'm uncertain about which particular model to get, I just let fate decide and grab the first good offer that comes up in the category. Treat it nicely and you can sell it off without a (great) loss if you realise it wasn't what you needed and/or a better deal comes up. That's also a great way to get your hands on different gear and learn what's out there and what works for you.
Chet Leeway
Regular

Postby musicegbdf » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:01 pm

Thanks watched a few youtube videos and can see the value of full size keys. The only problem is I am space limited.
I will take some time as suggested and perhaps make a shortlist and if anything comes up.
Ray
musicegbdf
Poster
Ray

Previous