You are here

Sequence Korg Kronos -> Midi/Audio Interface -> Cubase -> the bits are not even...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Sequence Korg Kronos -> Midi/Audio Interface -> Cubase -> the bits are not even...

Postby AMusicPlayerPlus » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:46 am

Dear Friends,
Need advice.
I have Korg Kronos connected to my computer via FocusRite interface (midi in / midi out / audio left / audio right)
I have some Cubase Midi Drums track, it sends it to Korg Kronos to get sounds from it.
Korg Kronos is in sequencer mode, i.e. each track has sound, that Korg Kronos produces.
I've paid attention, when I play Drum track the bits are not even.
It seems that something sits in the Korg and randomly breaks the beats to be not even.
I've checked the Korg performance- it's not loaded at all, I'm just playing 1 track with 4-6 simultaneous voices.
May be someone faced the similar issue.
Please advise.
AMusicPlayerPlus
Regular

Re: Sequence Korg Kronos -> Midi/Audio Interface -> Cubase -> the bits are not even...

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:03 am

Sounds like it might a midi clock issue, midi clock requires a strict master-slave setup?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Sequence Korg Kronos -> Midi/Audio Interface -> Cubase -> the bits are not even...

Postby AMusicPlayerPlus » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:18 am

I have feeling it's related to Cubase-> Project Setup -> Sample Rate (44/48/96/...) Bit depth (...).
I can't explain it, but when I change Sample rate 44->48 and Bit depth 32float, it sounds more even.

About midi clock setup:
The Korg is connected to Audio/Midi interface using MIDI cables / Auido cables (not USB).
So may it's a root cause, but I don't want to connect synth using USD. I prefer to use MIDI cables / Auido cables .

I don't know how to say in Cubase (MIDI interface - do a even clock, that is coming from Korg)
AMusicPlayerPlus
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:57 am

I'm far from a midi expert but I think you need to set one device as master and one as slave or they'll both be following their internal clocks which will not be in sync. The simple way would be to set the Kronos as slave (the option will be in the menu somewhere) the Focusrite/Cubase should default to master (it'll be one or the other supplying the clock, I'm not sure which).

The midi and audio interfaces are separate devices as far as Cubase/Windows is concerned so sample rates won't affect the midi clock. However, and I'm just thinking out loud here, if they don't match between Cubase and the F'rite that could cause timing problems.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dave B » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:34 pm

I think we might need a little more info as I am struggling to understand the issue.

If I am right, you are creating drum parts in Cubase's Drum Editor, and playing the midi over over Focusrite into your Kronos. yes?

And then the Kronos's audio is coming back into the system via the interface?

But something is wrong - what is the the thing which is wrong?

Is the whole drum track lagging behind?

Are individual drum hits out of time?

Are you triggering one-off hits? Or loops / chunks of playing?

What do you mean by "not even"?

If everything is lagging, then you have a latency issue to compensate for. If it's something else, then we need more info, or a clearer explanation. (A quick youtube video of the problem might be quickest)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)